Seasonistas transforming Major to Minor

UkeyDave

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
As I've recently started to experiment with playing certain songs that are normally in a major key in a minor key I thought it would be good to create a thread where seasonistas can put their MAJOR to MINOR song versions. I thought it would be nice to see them in one place so please feel free to drop them in here.
Cheers

Last edited:
Bad Moon Rising. I'd love to see multiple versions of the same song as well as other songs in this thread.

I think I can lay claim to having started this trend off. Here's one from Season 59 - Where has the time gone? (April 2013)

here's a bonus entry - can't quite believe that no-one's picked this one as their official entry.

I love this.
Check the awesome Gonzales. He's been doing this for quite a while:

Actually ...just to be a pissed ant...pissant ...peed....pedant....should it not be Transposing ?

Coat ...have it .....*slam*

Actually ...just to be a pissed ant...pissant ...peed....pedant....should it not be Transposing ?

Coat ...have it .....*slam*
Well if you can explain transposing from a major to a minor go ahead. I'd love to know how one transposes from one to the other.

Ya! I myself would love to know how to do this. Apparently you need knowledge in music theory and I don't really get it. I would have to try this entirely by what sounds right to me! I did go searching for an explanation and found this. Maybe it would help you....If your like me, maybe not so much!

This was answered on "Yahoo Answers"-

Devon answered 10 months ago

It most certainly is possible to do an entire major/minor transposition like this, but it requires some music theory knowledge.

G, D, Em, C progression in G major becomes Gm, D, Eb, Cm.
Why? It's based on scale degrees of the chords.
There are 7 notes in every scale (8 to complete the octave). Each note in the scale can be given a number from 1-7.
Just as there are 7 notes to a scale, there are 7 chords found in that scale, all based off of the different notes in that scale.
In G major, G would be 1, A is 2, B is 3 and so on. So the progression you have here is what we call a "I-V-vi-IV" progression in major because G=1, D=5, E=6 and C=4.

Translating a key to its parallel minor requires you to flatten (lower) the 3rd, 6th and 7th notes in the scale by a half-step to give it the "dark, sad, minor feel." Similarly, you have to do the same for chords built off of these notes.
In the key of g minor, the 3, 6 and 7 are lowered, melodically, while harmonically, only the 3 and 6 are lowered. So a scale changes from G-A-B-C-D-E-F#-G in major to G-A-Bb-C-D-Eb-F(F# in harmony)-G

As stated before, you have a 1-5-minor6-4 progression. So to translate to minor:
1) change all major chords to minor. This will give you a "i-v-vi-iv" (minor1-minor5-minor6-minor4) progression in a minor key.
2) find anywhere you have a 5 chord (D in the key of G) and make that major. The 5 chord will 99% of the time be major in any minor key (due to dominant function, which is another subject altogether). You should now have a "i-V-vi-iv" progression
3) find your 3 and 6 chords and lower them by a half step. In G, E (the 6th note in a G scale) becomes Eb (E flat)
4) change your originally minor chords to major (the exceptions are the 2 chord, which becomes half-diminished and the 7 chord, which is fully diminshed in minor. Don't worry about the restrictions on this rule if you don't have 2s or 7s). You should now have a "i-V-VI-iv" progression and have finished the harmonic transposition.
5) Change the melody to have the properly flattened notes so it fits with the altered chords.
6) Play your progression and listen to it!

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Source:
Trombone Performance Major in University, Minor in Composition and Arranging.

This concept is taught in Theory I-II and put into practice in Composition/Arranging I

Last edited:
Well if you can explain transposing from a major to a minor go ahead. I'd love to know how one transposes from one to the other.

Every major key has a relative minor...C major's relative minor key is A minor because both have the same key signature ...i.e. no sharps or flats ...Am appears in the C major chord progression....so to transpose (which just means moving notes up and down the stave to different keys) from C major to A minor just substitute the chords in C major for the ones in A minor..........Ist Chord would be C in C major ...Ist would be would be A Minor in.. erm, A Minor...I have detailed files on board ...I will get them out.....

That's as clever as I can get on a Saturday after beer and wine.....:cheers:

You are quite correct, CJ but the idea is to keep the range of the song the same. So if your song has a range of one octave from C to C', you need to keep that range. In my case I can comfortably sing a song that has a range from C to C' an octave up but if I were to make it minor by going to A minor I will not be able to sing it because I cannot comfortably sing the top A (I can just about manage it in the choir). So the change will be from C major to C minor. That keeps the range of notes the same but the key signature of Cm is three flats so you will need to replace E, A and B with Eb, Ab and Bb. That's OK but the chords also change. Linda above correctly explained the chord replacement based on classical music theory so the chords for Cm are Cm, F, G7 and Am. Unfortunately that requires a fudge so, to make these harmonies work, in classical music theory they have three minor key scales which are arrived at by sharpening either the seventh or the sixth and seventh notes of the natural minor scale which for Cm is C D Eb F G Ab Bb C.

Now to throw in another wobbly. Many folk tunes are modal and in folk music, the most common minor key mode is Dorian. the Dorian mode starts on the second note of the relative major scale, so the Dorian mode relative to C major is D dorian and the scale is D E F G A B C D. One feature of Dorian mode tunes is you can often harmonise them using the chords on the 1st, 5th and 7th degrees of the scale (ie the i v and VII chords) which for D dorian gives Dm, Am and C. I've got one which I hope to record tomorrow where I have done just that. I went from D major to D dorian so replaced the chords of D, A and G with Dm, Am and C and it worked pretty well though I did tweak the tune a bit. :music:

Woah ....hang on ...I made what I thought was a facetious and hopefully humorous quip and it's all got " reyully seriusss "...sorry ...I seem not to have got the hang of this ukelele forum thang........

Top Bottom