Smells spicy... must be fresh cocobolo!

Cocobolo Ukuleles

Reaction score
We just finished up some killer ukes and I felt obligated to share some pictures! UU only lets me share 5, but send me an email and I will send you plenty more.

cocoboloukuleles@gmail.com

BTW, cocobolo has a great smell to it that is described as 'spicy'. Or is it that our ukes have a spicy punch to them? I guess that you will have to decide :)

As for price, our concerts retail for $349, but we are offering a UU discount of $325, including all taxes and free shipping to the US. Not bad for a 100% handmade solid cocobolo uke!

These are going to go fast, so don't be shy!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

I love a hot cup of cocobolo on a cool autumn evening.

Hi Kevin. #156 is opening up nicely. Very pretty and good sound. Swapped out the Aquila strings for Martin M600 for preferred sound and feel. I'm happy to have this ukulele.

Hent, we are still dialing in our tenor design, but we are hoping to have our first models available within the next couple of months. I will definitely keep you posted.

PereBourik, I am happy to hear that #156 is opening up nicely for you. Give it another month and you will feel like you have a different uke in your hands. I am happy to hear that you like the Martin M600 strings. Combined with the radiused fingerboard, I would imagine that they have a great feel and sound to them. Do these pictures look familiar? :)

P1040446.jpg P1040448.jpg P1040457.jpg P1040454.jpg P1040449.jpg

Beautiful Indeed.

Just noticed the price drop.A bargain. My Cocobolo is a pleasure to play and hear. The wood is beautiful and the construction seems sound.

The purchase process was easy and Kevin was very cooperative. You even get a copy of the regional newsletter.

Kevin, what is your process for controlling the moisture content of the wood after milling and during construction of the instrument?

Kevin, what is your process for controlling the moisture content of the wood after milling and during construction of the instrument?

Now that is a timely question considering the average relative humidity in some parts of Nicaragua is over 80%. That should give pause for those living in climates with frigid winters and extremely low humidity. I recall the hype over the Koalanas and the fiasco that turned into for some of us.

Now that is a timely question considering the average relative humidity in some parts of Nicaragua is over 80%. That should give pause for those living in climates with frigid winters and extremely low humidity. I recall the hype over the Koalanas and the fiasco that turned into for some of us.

This is addressed on their website:
http://www.cocoboloukuleles.com/index.php/2014-05-10-08-22-16/drying-process

Thank you for bringing up this issue. It is a challenge that we have worked hard to address. All of our tonewoods are dried in a solar dry kiln in a slow process that takes about 1 month to bring the moisture content to 6%. After the drying process we store the wood in a climate controlled room at 45% relative humidity and 68 degrees Fahrenheit for 6 months so that it can rest and adjust after the stress from drying.

Once the wood is ready to be worked with, we still keep it in the climate controlled room as much as possible, especially overnight and while we are gluing pieces together.

We have several hydrometers to monitor humidity. It is true that at times humidity can hit 80%+, but overall the climate in Nicaragua isn't a huge problem. From November to May it fluctuates from 40-60% most days, which is pretty ideal for most tonewoods. May to September is more humid, but not unbearable. October is the main month that we really have to be vigilant about taking good care of our wood, but we are careful all throughout the year just to be safe.

Although we go to great lengths to do things right, it is important that each customer does his/her part as well. It is possible to receive an instrument with the optimal level of humidity, but then run into problems due to lack of care. Factory produced laminate ukes and guitars can withstand large fluctuations in humidity, but solid wood instruments breathe in the humid air and expand when it is wet out, or dry up and contract when it is dry.

It is important to limit the fluctuations in temperature and humidity that your instruments are exposed to. The best thing you can do it keep your uke in a good case at all times while you are not playing it. If you live in a dry climate, buy an in-case humidifier to keep it from drying out. Keep it away from heat and a/c vents. With the proper care, your Cocobolo Ukulele should last a lifetime.

To ensure that our ukuleles are taken care of properly, I give US customers the option to add a Lanikai Hardshell Concert Case and an in-case humidifier to their purchase for an extra $25. I lose money on the deal, but it is worth it to me because I like to know that our ukuleles are being taken care of properly.

Thank you for PereBourik for sharing the link to the Drying Process page on our website.

If anyone has any other questions or concerns please feel free to ask me.

Thank you,

Kevin

Last edited:
It is a little bit of extra work, but it is worth it to make sure that we get it right. It takes a little bit more planning, but nothing we can't handle :)

An advantage you have over the other "offshore" makers is the personal connection. Apart from knowing that maker P is connected with company K, or others that are "assembled" (i.e., tuners installed) in the US, instruments are just coming out of a black hole over somewhere.

You might consider making a video of your wood handling and building. (unless that's something else I missed on the website)

We need a LIKE button here! I can't wait to get my hands on one of these babies!

Top Bottom