PDA

View Full Version : my polk-a-lay-lee

sukie
03-16-2009, 10:02 AM
Not sure if you guys can help, but I have questions. What is the safest way to get plastic tuning pegs out of their slots? I bought a polk-a-lay-lee this weekend and of course the strings need to be re-done. I'm rather afraid to touch anything, but it looks to me as if the plastic pegs are pretty well stuck. The uke looks like it's been in an attic or garage for years -- not that it really matters. Is there a product I could spray at the peg holes that won't ruin the wood? Would tapping with a rubber mallet be better?

I'm not sure the uke has much value -- other than for parts -- but can I use guitar polish or anything on it to help the wood or will I compromise anything -- sound or value -- by doing so?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Sukie

UKISOCIETY
03-16-2009, 11:12 AM
perhaps putting ice on the pegs - and not the wood of the headstock - would cause some shrinkage in the pegs.

Other than that, I can only think of tapping the pegs with a hammer - but use a rubber mallet or have a block of wood between the hammer and the pegs.

And good luck!

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
03-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Wrap a piece of cloth around the head of the pegs and use a pair of pliers to gently twist them out.
If that doesn't work, a cherry bomb in the soundhole never fails.

thejumpingflea
03-16-2009, 12:12 PM
If that doesn't work, a cherry bomb in the soundhole never fails.

Isn't that how you make the hole for when you need to install a pick-up?

sukie
03-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I'm not sure about the cherry bomb -- I already have a pick up -- but I'll try the other things and see what happens.

anomoly40
03-19-2009, 10:04 AM
Isn't that how you make the hole for when you need to install a pick-up?

No thats the AMFO/Thermite process he explains on his website. :D

hoosierhiver
03-19-2009, 10:28 AM
I'd try to just keep wiggle-ing them loose.I've got a polkalele and a big problem is that the plastic pegs often slip.I imagine the previous owner got sick of this and really jammed them in there.

bt93
03-26-2009, 12:36 PM
will you make a video with it...im really interested in hearing it

Bluke
03-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Before you wiggle them out with pliers, place a drop of mineral oil around the base of each peg and let it seep in the joint for a few minutes before trying to remove.