Song Help Request Over the Rainbow strum pattern??

UKESTAR

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out what IZ did for a strum pattern. It seems simple enough...just can't get it to sound like his song that is so perfect.

Anyone know what I need to do strumming??:eek:

When I play it, I just do up, down, up.

You'll notice at the beginning of the song especially he picks the low G string then goes down, up,..up, down, up. Thats what I am hearing, and playing it that way makes it sound pretty much like the way he does it, of course i don't think anyone can ever really do it just like IZ did.

Last edited:
its just a down up down up strum. but you stress on the second down. the timing should have a small pause after the first down, making the first up come right before the second down. so maybe its more like... down updown up.

Muchas Garcias!

When I play it, I just do up, down, up.

You'll notice at the beginning of the song especially he picks the low G string then goes down, up,..up, down, up. Thats what I am hearing, and playing it that way makes it sound pretty much like the way he does it, of course i don't think anyone can ever really do it just like IZ did.

True...nobody will ever replicate IZ...just want to be close out of respect to him...don't want to slaughter such a great piece of uke history...

Thanks davooooooooooooo

I've always heard the song (and played it). Down, Down, Up, Down, Up Down, repeat. As Mike says in his youtube video, you'll find you will go between that strum and a standard down, up, down, up. But with a little lag to it at times, and accent certain beats.

Someone once told me "jus press da strings en strum wit' da heart"

I know that doesn't actually help you, but it brings back a really good memory.

CAn't do the Iz strum, so I made up my own... I tried chucnking in it but didn't like it.

Strumming/Plucking Combo

I am trying to figure out what IZ did for a strum pattern. It seems simple enough...just can't get it to sound like his song that is so perfect.

Anyone know what I need to do strumming??:eek:

What I've found to be the most like IZ's version is plucking the G string and then strumming du ud
However, this only works if you have a low g string on your uke. If you don't then there's a way around this:

for each of the following chords, pluck this string right before the strumming pattern:
C & F chords, pluck E string
Em, Am, & G chords, pluck C string

Hopefully this helps!

I know this is a pretty old thread, but i figured i'd add to the discussion. I've been working on getting as close as i can to what IZ does on this song for a couple years now and I think part of it is just how strings were made back then. I'm not an expert on strings or anything, but he probably had the real gut joints. That's why he was able to let the G string ring out without TOO much sustain. If you're gentle with the ghost notes on the G string, and you only hit the bottom 3 strings with your pinky mutes it sounds pretty close. You get that extra percussive stuff he has going on behind the groove that way. If anyone figures out all those clever little arrpegios you hear when you zone out to this song I'd love to know how that's done. I refuse to allow myself to believe he over dubbed them LOL! Even if that's true I'll go on pretending it's not.

I teach this song to a girl that is learning the ukulele from me, and while I have no formal training, I use my ears, and I do not have a low G uke, so to get close to what I hear on the song, I've come up with:

Down-upX DownX (change chord) Down-upX DownX etc. (where X, is the chunk or mute).

What I'm doing is chunking or muting the "up" at the end and pausing and then finishing with a down and a mute at the end. The strings ring through the stroke until its finished, then, rather than let rig, I "chocke" the chord.

I wrote the notation close together to show these are played as almost 2 "units" Down upx is played quickly with a small pause until the next DownX.

The upX means that at the top of the up you mute or chunk/choke that strum rather than sustain it.

Best,

Sean

Top Bottom