More than 1st Position Chord chart

freedive135

Reaction score
I stumbled on a book today called "Hints and Tips For Advanced Ukulele Players" (not that I am advanced) from Mel Bay.

While fliping thru it I saw Chord Charts for 1st thru 7th or 8th position chord fingerings going down to the 14 fret for some of the chords.
example: G7
A 14
E 13
C 14
g 12

Plus some other stuff like different styles of Tremolo, Vamps and Finger Roll plucking.

Thought I would share!!!!

Check out Live 'Ukulele's chord charts, shows at least 3-4 inversions of the same chord spanning through 10-12 frets. FYI, Hippie Guy is also a UU member.

OK, gonna put in a shameless plug for my teachers product here. He goes by Uncle Zac and for those of you going to the NY uke fest he is the one giving the class on "playing up the neck".

This is the product - http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=222

This chart takes a little getting used to, as it covers all chords up the neck for both standard re-entrant tuning and baritone. As soon as I got used to it though I stopped looking at any other chord book.

If you want to chord up the neck, this is the tool you need. The chord Freedive showed is not on the chart, but once you understand the chart it's obvious that the finguring he showed is what would work.

I swear I am not writing this cause Uncle Zac is my teacher. This chart works and it works really, really fast.

"Check out Live 'Ukulele's chord charts,"

Dude! Since I play jazz guitar will movable chords THAT is what I've looking for to get started. My Uke will arrive next week. Thanks!

UkeChord for iPod

If anyone else uses there iPod/iPhone for learning (which I'm finding invaluable by the way - carry around all the UU lessons with me), try using UkeChord from the app store. It was cheap (maybe free I can't remember) and it's an easy way to find out first position chords as well as at least 2 variations higher up the neck for most chords.
Cheers,
J

Showing chord positions above the twelfth fret is pointless, not because you shouldn't play up there if that's what floats yer boat, but because from there it just repeats everything from the first position chords. Only difference is you'll have to barre to get chords that use open strings in first position.

Showing chord positions above the twelfth fret is pointless, not because you shouldn't play up there if that's what floats yer boat, but because from there it just repeats everything from the first position chords. Only difference is you'll have to barre to get chords that use open strings in first position.

Wow

I don't believe that I get to correct Howlin Hobbit on uke technique.

You are absolutely right about the chords above the twelfth position using barre chords but if you are up there you've already gotten used to using them. In fact, there are chords you can pull off at fret 12 that do not need the barre. They sound a little odd but they are chords. Any chord that works in 1st position also works on the twefth fret. They just don't sound as good.

I'm pretty sure the point our beloved hobbit was trying to make is that if you know all the chords from first position to fret 12 then you know ALL the chords because at that fret the pattern just starts to repeat. Any chords past fret 4 and in some cases fret 1 are making you barre.

And Howlin Hobbit I post this with all due respect. I love when you post about technique, because those are some of the posts that have helped me the most. It was kind of like the first time I ever caught my teacher in a mistake. I had no less apreciation for my teacher but it did make me realize that what he was teaching me was starting to sink in:)

I don't believe that I get to correct Howlin Hobbit on uke technique.

You are absolutely right about the chords above the twelfth position using barre chords but if you are up there you've already gotten used to using them. In fact, there are chords you can pull off at fret 12 that do not need the barre. They sound a little odd but they are chords. Any chord that works in 1st position also works on the twefth fret. They just don't sound as good.

You are correct. Whipped that message out too fast.

I even use a couple of chords where you leave some strings open and finger others way the hell up the neck -- like the C variant that's 0007 -- so I dunno how I missed that.

Good catch!

Top Bottom