Song Help Request L.Ritchie- Stuck on you

Phatzo

Reaction score
I am trying to learn Stuck On You by L. Ritchie, but I am having trouble. Could someone possibly record a video and post it. I find it helps me learn if I can play along with someone else. I believe the chords are: G, Bm, C, and then D7.

Thanks.

the chords are G, Bm, C, D7...
then it goes...
C D7 G
Girl, Im leavin on that midnight train tomorrow
C D7 G
and i know just where im going
C D7
Ive packed all my troubles and ive
G/ Bm/ Em/
Thrown them all away
C
Cuz this time im leavin
D7
im coming home to stay

then go back to the G, Bm, C, D7

i typed it differently but when i post it it takes out all of the spaces!!

the chords are G, Bm, C, D7...
then it goes...
C D7 G
Girl, Im leavin on that midnight train tomorrow
C D7 G
and i know just where im going
C D7
Ive packed all my troubles and ive
G/ Bm/ Em/
Thrown them all away
C
Cuz this time im leavin
D7
im coming home to stay

then go back to the G, Bm, C, D7

i typed it differently but when i post it it takes out all of the spaces!!

Those chords work, but they aren't accurate with the recording. The chords you posted are a whole step above the original.

What other help do you need with the arrangement if you know the chords?

Can you play each chord individually?
Try just strumming one chord at a time, once to get the progression down before you add any rhythm/strumming pattern into it. Do it slowly.

Those chords work, but they aren't accurate with the recording. The chords you posted are a whole step above the original.
just transpose them down a whole step then. lionel ritchie may have played it starting on a B, but if i remember correctly, it was on a piano. much easier than the chord progression starting on C. which, i believe is the way three plus plays it. or was it Pati? eh i ferget. if everyone played every song and sang it exactly the same way it was recorded by the original artist... music in general would just suck. hahaha
cant seem to get the chord changes right.:confused:
thats not a problem anyone here can fix with a few words. just gotta practice. practice. practice.

just transpose them down a whole step then. lionel ritchie may have played it starting on a B, but if i remember correctly, it was on a piano. much easier than the chord progression starting on C. which, i believe is the way three plus plays it. or was it Pati? eh i ferget.
I didn't know anybody else covered the song. Before we talk about what the chords are, we better settle on what arrangement we want to play!

I didn't know anybody else covered the song. Before we talk about what the chords are, we better settle on what arrangement we want to play!
settling on one way to play it is hindering. if you get a chord progression that works, then use it. if it doesnt work for you, transpose it to a key that does.

for those that dont know how to transpose, there is some info here on the boards on how to do it. probably just search the word "transpose" and you'll find it. it may seem like its too advanced for some people, but if you dont try, and you stay inside the box, you can only be as good as the music is in front of you. when you make it your own, thats when the music actually means more to you. its no longer the original arrangement... but your own interpretation.

personally, i dont like to spoon feed people. only for the sole reason that it would only let them do what i let them do. but if you give someone a foundation, and set them free with it, it can be amazing what they build on top of it.

what if you (not you specifically... just hypothetical situation) someday join a band. and one of their songs just so happens to be a song you know how to play very well. but they play in the key of A, and you happen to play it in C. if you dont know how to adapt, what good are you to the band? or will you expect everyone else to conform to you because they way you play it is the way the original artist played it? in effect, the whole band gets thrown off, the singer may have a problem in that vocal range, and you all sound like the doodoo on the bottom of mankind's shoe.

just transpose them down a whole step then. lionel ritchie may have played it starting on a B, but if i remember correctly, it was on a piano. much easier than the chord progression starting on C. which, i believe is the way three plus plays it. or was it Pati? eh i ferget. .

it was actually ekolu...
just thought id let you know...

it was actually ekolu...
just thought id let you know...

dude this is like the third time youve publicly corrected me on a band name. i quit! next time im just gonna say something to the effect of....

"kiss u in the morning" by _______________ <==ok bj go ahead and fill it in

uhhmm... guys yout wo ok? I didnt mean to start something.:p I understand what you mean by making it your own and that whole foundation thing, but right now I been play the uke for maybe 2 months, Im just learning and have had no formal music education. All of this is new, so i just tring to learn how to play it the way the artist intent it to be heard first 9or as close as it can be recongized then I can learn how to make it my own. I want to thank you guys for your comments, and I am gonna check out the "transposing" you mentioned.

their just being stuphid. haha! but ya, good luck on your ukulele journey.

Hey Phatzo, Here's the ekolu version. Just practice the chords and if you want to play it in the same key as lionel ritchie, either get a capo or transpose it. I like this version tho...its easier to play and a good way to learn basic chords. Hope this helps....peace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQXZMEmPA6s

uhhmm... guys yout wo ok? I didnt mean to start something.:p I understand what you mean by making it your own and that whole foundation thing, but right now I been play the uke for maybe 2 months, Im just learning and have had no formal music education. All of this is new, so i just tring to learn how to play it the way the artist intent it to be heard first 9or as close as it can be recongized then I can learn how to make it my own. I want to thank you guys for your comments, and I am gonna check out the "transposing" you mentioned.
hahaha no probs here. bj is one of my bandmates. so we're always messin with each other. kokonutz, well i dont know wassup with him hahaha. :p

4strings707, Thanks I appriciate the vid. Not really sure why I have had so much tropuble with this song, but that video will help me alot, THANKS!

$ strings7070 at 55 seconds what note is that? I got G, Bm, C, D7 then you change it up it looks like after the G it looks like it might be G7 or something.

Ekolu's Version: G Bm C D7

Lionel Riches Version: F Am Bb C7

Top Bottom