Uke Lesson 17 - 1234 (Plain White T's)

Hey all you cool people of the Underground! May's episode of Uke Lessons is here to save the day!

Uke Lesson 17 - 1,2,3,4 (The Plain White T's ... sorry Feist fanatics)

There were quite a few threads discussing this one, but we're always open for discussion : D Questions, comments, tips, ideas, personal preferences? Post them below!

The Play-Along will be up soon!

strumming pattern is awesome... sweet aZZZ song

Here ya go:

"1,2,3,4" Ukulele Play-Along!

There are a couple inconsistencies between the lesson and Play-Along version (blame Aldrine :D). nothing major though. If you guys spot them and have questions, let us know! Mahaloz.

SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH man this is Awe-some! Get some of that awe a.g!
Just with a first rough run through on my going out of tune uke, i started getting giddy! i'm going to go practice :D
:D

Super awesome. The fingering suggestions on the picking helped. as well as all the repetition.

Thank you a lot for this great lesson, Aldrine! I also can't emphasize enough how helpful those awesome play-alongs are!

Just tabbed out the picking parts (hopefully correctly). Have fun!

Code:
Intro Picking:

||---------------------2-4-5---5--7p5--0-------------------------------||
||-5-2---5-----5-----5---------6--6----2-------------------------------||
||---------4-----2-----------------------------------------------------||
||---------------------------------------------------------------------||

Middle Picking:

||-7/9-9-9--9-5-5-7-9--9--7/9-9-9--9-5-5-7-9--9--7/9-9-9--9-5-5-7-9--9-|
||---------------------------------------------------------------------|

|-5--7--5--4------7/9-9-9--9-5-5-7-9--9--7/9-9-9--9-C-A-9-5-7--9---5-5|
 |-------------5-------------------------------------------------------|
 |---------------------------------------------------------------------|
 |---------------------------------------------------------------------|

|-5-9-7-5-------------------------------------------------------------||
 |---------5-----------------------------------------------------------||
 |---------------------------------------------------------------------||
 |---------------------------------------------------------------------||

thanks for the lesson u guys. got it stuck in my head now haha

Bm7 not Bm if I'm correct, what are the other inconsistencies.

Strumming for 1234

Would you be able to redo the strumming portion of this video. In it, Aldrine uses his thumb to start us out with T-d, T-u d u . But, then when he starts to go faster, he uses his pointer finger: T-d, F-u d u. It sounds beautiful and I'm dying to learn it. (In slow motion too would help.)

Thanks a bunch,
Nancy

Hey all you cool people of the Underground! May's episode of Uke Lessons is here to save the day!

Uke Lesson 17 - 1,2,3,4 (The Plain White T's ... sorry Feist fanatics)

There were quite a few threads discussing this one, but we're always open for discussion : D Questions, comments, tips, ideas, personal preferences? Post them below!

The Play-Along will be up soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there another strumming pattern that works?

You can replace the "Thumb" strums with down strums, so DD DUDU will work.

Would you be able to redo the strumming portion of this video. In it, Aldrine uses his thumb to start us out with T-d, T-u d u . But, then when he starts to go faster, he uses his pointer finger: T-d, F-u d u. It sounds beautiful and I'm dying to learn it. (In slow motion too would help.)

During the song when Aldrine strums the pattern, it actually is TD TUDU. I think the slight difference that we forgot to mention in the video is that is that the first "Thumb" (on the C string) is done using the nail of his thumb while on the second "Thumb" strum, he is slightly grazing the G string using the fleshy side of his thumb. This gives it a softer sound. The reason it probably looks like he's using his pointer finger is because his hand is curling at that point to get ready for the quick up strum that follows it. He couldn't be using his pointer finger on the G simply because he'd be hitting the string using the nail of his pointer finger, which wouldn't create that soft sound (and his finger wouldn't be poised for the up strum that follows it).

Hope that helps! Glad to see that this lesson is still getting some great comments and questions - keep 'em commin'!

UU:

Thanks for the reply. So sorry to bug you guys again about this, but I really want to learn this strum.
I've watched this thing like 50 times now. It's frustrating. I think it's Aldrine's new "slight of hand" magic trick. I know he's famous and busy these days, but do you think he would agree to do a "strum only" segment on this 1234 song and really put it in slow motion and explain his pointer finger illusion. For us beginners? Pretty please? With "uke" on it?

Nancy

Thanks a bunch,
Nancy

Could someone post the lyrics with chords? I like to have it written out with the video.

Top Bottom