Fret popping out?

haole

Reaction score
Small issue with my Kamaka soprano. Lately, the third fret on the A string has been really plinky and dead-sounding. Thought the string might just be too deep into the nut, so I used a tiny piece of paper to prop it up and raise the action enough to see if that was the problem, and it didn't go away. Seems like the string is buzzing against the fourth fret when I put my finger on the third fret, deadening the note. It also feels like the fret is popping out a little on that side; I can slide the edge of a piece of paper between the fret and the fretboard right there.
What's the best way to deal with this? I think the fret needs to be hammered back in on that side, but I'm not sure how to do this without messing up the fretboard, neck, or fret itself. Should I bring it to the guy who sets up my guitars, or is this a small enough issue that I could get away with doing it myself without a big risk? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Decided not to call this topic "Kamaka issue" because it would reflect poorly on the company when I'm sure it's not their fault. The uke is about five years old and gets played quite a bit, so I'm assuming it's normal wear and tear.

Chasing high frets can be a hassle and might have you running all over the fretboard.

I'd remove the strings and check the frets with a good straightedge. You need one long enough to cover only 3 frets. Move it up and down the neck feeling for high spots that let it rock rather than lay flat. Depending on if the fret is loose or just popped up a bit, you can tap it flush with a small hammer (use a wood block to keep from denting the fret). If it won't stay down you might want to use a little superglue in the fretslot and then tap it down again. Do all of this carefully while checking and rechecking with the straightedge. This is VERY IMPORTANT. Otherwise like I said you'll be chasing buzzes and high/low spots all over the fretboard. If all the frets are tight and flush to the wood you might want to take it to a professional to have the frets leveled and recrowned.

Thanks for the advice, Dave! The frets are indeed uneven in some places, and I haven't been able to work the buzz out, so I brought the uke to a reputable guitar guy tonight. He's going to level/recrown the frets this week. I'm going to miss it in the meantime. :( But it's my nicest uke and I might as well have it play as good as it can.

Top Bottom