PDA

View Full Version : Need help wtih children's song

MrsMeyerMusic
07-22-2009, 03:29 PM
I teach K-6 music at an elementary school. I usually do a welcoming-type song with the younger kids at the beginning of every class to get them ready. I've never really tried writing songs for my classroom, but this one just popped into my head, so I grabbed my uke. I don't know what to put in the middle, though...

C
It's time for music,

F C
come on in!

C
It's time for music,

F G7
welcome my friend!

????????????????
????????????????

C
It's time for music,

F C
let's begin!

:anyone:

Edit- The C's should be over "in" and "begin" and the "G7" should be over friend. Whenever I post, it scoots it over!!

seeso
07-22-2009, 03:52 PM
C
It's time for music,

F C
come on in!

C
It's time for music,

F G7
welcome my friend!

It's time to sing and dance to the beat
Come in and don't forget to wipe your feet

C
It's time for music,

F C
let's begin!

MrsMeyerMusic
07-22-2009, 03:56 PM
I like it! But I don't know what chords to use....

C
It's time for music,

F C
come on in!

C
It's time for music,

F G7
welcome my friend!

It's time to sing and dance to the beat
Come in and don't forget to wipe your feet

C
It's time for music,

F C
let's begin!

seeso
07-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Cool, glad you like it. Just mess around with it, you'll find the chords. I'd probably start on an F.

Ukulele JJ
07-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Now that's an interesting challenge. Hmmmm... How about:

C C7
Music's played all around the world

F Fm
From ___________ to __________

You would fill in the blanks each time with different interesting or comical places (Kalamazoo, Moose Jaw, The South Pole, The Green Tree Mall, etc.), stretching the chords out as long as necessary. Doesn't have to rhyme. Maybe even get them to shout out suggestions.

If I were a kid, I'd think that was hilarious.

JJ

P.S. If you type in your lyrics and chords in Word or TextPad or something, using a monospaced font like Courier, and then copy and paste it into "code" tags (the # button along the top of the message box), it will preserve your spacing. That's what I just did.

MrsMeyerMusic
07-22-2009, 04:22 PM
I like this, too! Maybe I should write multiple verses?!

Now that's an interesting challenge. Hmmmm... How about:

C C7
Music's played all around the world

F Fm
From ___________ to __________

You would fill in the blanks each time with different interesting or comical places (Kalamazoo, Moose Jaw, The South Pole, The Green Tree Mall, etc.), stretching the chords out as long as necessary. Doesn't have to rhyme. Maybe even get them to shout out suggestions.

If I were a kid, I'd think that was hilarious.

JJ

P.S. If you type in your lyrics and chords in Word or TextPad or something, using a monospaced font like Courier, and then copy and paste it into "code" tags (the # button along the top of the message box), it will preserve your spacing. That's what I just did.

MrsMeyerMusic
07-22-2009, 04:39 PM
I just recorded a rough take of what I have in mind for the song. I tried to upload it to youtube, but they are doing maintainance. I'll get it on here when I can so you guys can hear what I am thinking.

MrsMeyerMusic
07-23-2009, 03:19 AM
Extremely rough take...my uke's slightly out of tune....not my best singing....but gives you the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06sHOhgBzk0

Oh, and I didn't record the video portion because I looked like crap :D

seeso
07-23-2009, 05:59 AM
Extremely rough take...my uke's slightly out of tune....not my best singing....but gives you the idea.

This video is private.

UKISOCIETY
07-23-2009, 06:04 AM

Still listed as private!:confused:

MrsMeyerMusic
07-23-2009, 06:18 AM
Ok, it's public now...

seeso
07-23-2009, 06:28 AM
Sounds good. Try F, G7, C, G7.

bicarbon8
07-23-2009, 07:13 AM
C
It's time for music,

F C
come on in!

C
It's time for music,

F G7
welcome my friend!

C(0003)F C(5433) B(4322) Bb(3211) F
We're gonna' sing and move and play instruments my friends

C
It's time for music,

F C
let's begin!How about this (it's a bit of a "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay" transition)

MrsMeyerMusic
07-23-2009, 07:15 AM
I was hearing a chord in my head for the middle section on "my friends" and I couldn't figure it out, but my husband did! It's A minor! I will try to make a video tonight of the finished product!