Moore Betta Ukulele (6 String Full Koa)

wearymicrobe

Reaction score
Features

• Made by Chuck Moore
  • http://www.moorebettahukes.com/
  • 3.5A Koa Body, Sides, Back. Rosewood Neck, Koa Top Plate, Gold tuners, Inlayed Headstock. Rope Binding and Rossette.
  • Polyurethane. I Think
  • (6 string Tenor) Tuned gcCeaa
  • Tie Bridge.
  • Traditional neck with amazing heel design. Fastest neck I own
  • Bought used came with a case, humidifier, chucks cool Koa business cards.
  • Buy a custom case please at this price level if you have a foam one.
Action, Fit & Finish

• Is a Moore Betta, the very best in terms of smaller builders, over Glyph/Ogata/ASD/King I would say just due to the absolutely perfection across the board.
  • His are amazing value for money, In terms of value for build quality. If he made guitars instead of ukuleles he would be a top custom name.
  • Of the several that I have played they have not been 5A tops but they have had tone suited to the build, that says something about the builder and the buyers.

• Polish is done amazing I have no idea what it is.
  • All inlay/binding/purfling done correctly, tuners are great. The string spacing is perfect, its a heavy instrument though. Nothing like a Kanile'a or Ko'olau.
Personal Opinion

• I had conflicting emotions about this ukulele mainly because it took four or five string set before I found the tone I was looking for. It is highly reactive to strings for some reason. Which is great in that you can dial in the tone you want. Its just not small steps like you would expect. I get the most amazing Tahitian like sounds with fishing line then goes all mellow with the Ko'olua's.

• I use this for playing in large groups. It just cuts through everybody else. People go nuts when they see it and if you can play a 4 you can play a 6 string.
  • If it was me I would just check chucks site for what he has available, he has a aesthetic eye that is unmatched for off the shelf stuff.
  • If anybody finds who bought the four string tenor with the birds I will pay a bounty or trade for it.
Reliability/Durability

• Will this ukulele withstand live playing?
    • YES
  • Does the hardware seem like it will last?
    • YES
  • Would you use it on a gig without a backup?
    • Yes I do it all the time.

Customer Support

• Never heard of anything go wrong period. Which is rare.

Overall Rating

• How long have you been playing?
    • A while
  • What other gear do you own?
    • Almost every major modern builder
  • If it were stolen or lost, would you buy it again or get something else?
    • No I would go four string its a personal preferance.
  • What do you love about it?
    • Tone, Price point, durability, fast playability.
  • What do you hate?
    • I dislike the tuners but its unavodable and not due to the builders.
  • What is your favorite feature?
    • Inlay, tone, reactivity to strings.
  • Did you compare it to other ukuleles? Which ones?
    • The commen players in this price range.
Personal Opinion

I don't know where to place this one, it is a fabulous instrument and I get amazing tone out of it. It took a while to get the best out of it though, and handing it off to another player is interesting to say the least. It is definitely not a starter or even intermediate players ukulele. It responds to nail attack so well that its just interesting. Nothing that should hold up a purchase but it seems to reveal how you play more then any other instrument which an be hard on the ego.

These are not negative just observations, I fully endorse this builder fully and would buy another in a second if I had the space.

The bracing pattern is very old school, at least it looks that we to me. The top is very think but still has this unbelevable resonace of a much lighter and more delicate top. Chuck must have a really good tap for tone testing wood.

2009-58-23-55-12-1-uke4.JPG

Last edited:
Really liked your review. Thanks!

moorebettah 6-string

The Japanese White Eye ukulele (two birds and blossoms -knockout tenor) went to the Guitar Emporium in Lexington Massachussetts and was sold in around a week. There is a link to their site on Chuck's site.

I have to admit I lusted after that instrument myself, but had Chuck build one for me. The build process required a little input from me, but Chuck made decisions on his own regarding what would produce great sound and a stunning look. I recommend him highly.

Haven't heard a 6 or 8-string up close, must sound sweet!

pete

Attachments

• P7040010.jpg
    P7040010.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 51
I once called Moore Bettah Ukuleles one of Hawaii's best kept ukulele secrets. Who would think a guy who lives in a "green", solar powered home, in Opihikao, Hawaii, be able to produce such a great instrument. When you purchase a Moore Bettah Ukulele, you definitely get a piece of Hawaii. Chuck is not only a great luthier, he is also a down to earth, humorous, and friendly man who exemplifies the Aloha Spirit!

Thanks for the review! BTW, I have seen those Japanese white eye birds flying around in Chuck's yard. If you saw his property, you'd understand how he gets all his ideas for his inlays. He just steps outside.

I'm not quite sure...... Are you saying that you might like it some?

I am saying that I like it ALOT. This specific one is just not what I would call a beginners instrument, mainly due to the extra strings, it requires quite a bit of technique to play it to its high potential.

His 4 string ukuleles are of course easier to play.

I will eventually own that "whit eye" uke. It will pop up someday and it will be mine.

Great review and that is one awesome uke!!!

Top Bottom