martin "build your own" kits

Kaneohe til the end

Reaction score
My first build was a Martin kit in mahogany. The kit is high quality with nicely fitted pieces and goes together well. The toughest part is the fretting and neck alignment/action setting, which is a bit tricky because the guitar scale is quite long. My action is a bit high on that one.

You can also expect to have to acquire some tools if you don't already own or have access to them. A Dremel tool or precision router is almost essential and a band saw or scroll saw is a big help in cutting out the top and back. Lots of clamps are necessary and you will have to create a few jigs to do the work.

I don't know if the Martin plans are available for download, but Stewart Macdonald has kits and I believe you can download their plans in PDF format. That will give you a better idea of the work involved and the tools and supplies necessary.

Oh wow, that looks pretty cool. But I also suspect that you'e paying a premium there for the Martin name. If you've got the guts, and aren't afraid of accidently ruining a model kit that costs that much, go for it. I'm sure the shop has tons of spare parts anyway...I mean if you accidently break the soundboard, you could always just replace it w master grade koa when nobody is looking... :p

You might want to read:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Build-Your-Own-Acoustic-Guitar/H6819

h6819.jpg

first, Kaneohe til the end. It will give you a better idea into the details, tools and techniques.

Also, you might want to try a simpler kit first, to get an idea of the basics:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Ukulele-Kit/H3125

h3125.jpg

H3098

h3098.jpg

Last edited:
I just ordered the grizzly ukulele kit yesterday, thought it'd be a great way to get into building, simple at first, then work up to harder builds as I gain tools and knowledge. If I like it, then maybe in a few years, when we're done building our new house with workshop, I can tackle custom scratch builds like Pete Howlett and Chuck Moore, etc. I'd love to design and build ukes!

Okay, update:
I got the grizzly uke kit. I realize i only paid $24.95 plus $6.25 shipping for it. but really, the quality is even lower than I ever thought! The frets have gouges in them. The every piece of wood except the neck is plywood, including the fretboard!! The fretboard is three ply with the worst quality rosewood on top. The body is stapled to the neck joint block and the soundhole is mishapen.

I called grizzly to get either a refund or replacement. They tell me that I will have to pay to ship back, then pay 10% restocking fee on top of that, the pay to ship the replacement!

I told them forget it. I'll play with this "toy" then document the build and show people what you really get.

I guess after that I'll buy a real kit from stewmac or one of the other places, then work my way up to either building from scratch or from pete howlett.

To the buyer beware, you get what you pay for!

Well, I look forward to seeing how it turns out. Who knows, it might turn out to be a fun player.

Okay, update:
I got the grizzly uke kit. I realize i only paid $24.95 plus $6.25 shipping for it. but really, the quality is even lower than I ever thought! The frets have gouges in them. The every piece of wood except the neck is plywood, including the fretboard!! The fretboard is three ply with the worst quality rosewood on top. The body is stapled to the neck joint block and the soundhole is mishapen.

I called grizzly to get either a refund or replacement. They tell me that I will have to pay to ship back, then pay 10% restocking fee on top of that, the pay to ship the replacement!

I told them forget it. I'll play with this "toy" then document the build and show people what you really get.

I guess after that I'll buy a real kit from stewmac or one of the other places, then work my way up to either building from scratch or from pete howlett.

To the buyer beware, you get what you pay for!

i wanna see a video of that

Top Bottom