Song Help Request Sweet Pea Help (contest?)

macdaddy

Reaction score
Hi folks- New to the forum....but I have a very strange request. My sister Mandy just got married this past Friday, and and a banjo player from the Mummers (weird Philly thing...google it if u want) was supposed to accompany me in the singing of Sweet Pea by Amos Lee (her and now husband's song) for her 1st dance....he never showed up, and it was devastating.

Anyhow, my mom told her about the supposed-to-be surprise, and she asked if I would record it to play during her wedding video. I really want to do it, but I don't know anyone who plays the ukulele (well at least).

I have recording software (Nero 8), but could someone who knows how to record, and play this song send it to me.?

I know I don't know anyone here yet (just started guitar lessons), but if you'd like a huuuuge karma boost, please send your "track" to mcfarland7@comcast.net THANK YOU MUCH_ Tom

not technically a contest because there's no prize. A mod will move this for you. I havent made any recordings yet, but once I do I may attempt, lots of good players here who should be able to help. Good luck

Thanks man...I know it seems kinda dooshy...I've already gotten some nice emails from people who don't know the song.

...AND now I'm addicted to the ukulele...I've been on youtube for 2 hours listening to real contest entries...who knew?

Do you want the person to just play it, or sing it too? Actually I'm not too sure what you are looking for...

sorry...i was way unclear. Just the uke track (one had a bass track too...very cool)...I need to attempt to sing it on the video.

I already got 2! You guys are amazing! They're very different....so keep 'em coming if you can....it's great to see the different interpretations....some fast...some slower AWESOME

Then get you one and learn a few chords and record the song for your sister yourself. It'll mean even more to her. :)

I agree...the ukulele is really easy to learn, and you will get a lot of enjoyment out of it. :shaka:

Last edited:
I agree with getting yourself a uke and working on it. It's not a really hard tune, and "Sweet Pea" is very fun to play--one of those songs that ukuleles seem to want to produce!

I absolutely agree....but for this project...mom needs the audio by next Friday...I'm a quick learner, but not THAT quick.

Would you guys suggest learning guitar first...or after the ukulele.

Thanks again to all who have sent or will send...great community...makes me want to learn faster.

Uke first! Its so much easier to learn than Guitar! I've taught people who can't play guitar to play uke and they learn quick!

You can easily learn in a week. I struggled with guitar for years, picked up the uke and was strumming many songs within days. And this is typical. Just do it. It will mean so much more to her. All the help and support you need is right here. We are a tight community and we love to help someone with a challenge like this.

Also, if the song is in the wrong key for your voice, just ask and someone will help you. Also if that key has difficult chords for a beginner, we can transpose it.

ok...i dove in the deep end, and I'm trading a guy on craigslist computer work for a uke....the recordings should help for chords, etc....they're all in my range so far....thanks again all...here goes nothin'

Also, if the song is in the wrong key for your voice, just ask and someone will help you. Also if that key has difficult chords for a beginner, we can transpose it.

Chordie can automatically transpose. It's a dropdown on the right hand side right under the chord diagrams.

I fully support learning uke! Do it now! These folks are right that you can learn enough to play MANY songs in just a few days. On the other hand, learning THIS song without transposing might take longer than a week. Those are actually relatively tough chords. I mean, E is involved! :eek: Took me months to smoothly switch to E.

Try it with the transposey-dropdown set to -4 semitones. Those are pretty easy chords, if you can sing it in that key.

Now look what you've done.....

....you've turned me into an addict. I was a guy who accidentally stumbled on to the uke...and now I own 3...a bari, an unknown very nice soprano, and a 1920's akai tabu uke which is pretty amazing sounding. The learning is going really well too...just working on technique and speed...I think I may actually be musically inclined...who knew. But thanks for the tough love approach with the song...I completed that under the deadline...and now I've been commisioned to sing/play "In the Lord's Arms" for grace at Thanksgiving.

Top Bottom