Song Help Request do you need to transpose?

liverlipsyyz

Reaction score
hi. i've been playing ukulele for about a year off and on and usually i just play from tabs or aldrines lessons or other videos i find on youtube. i'm now wanting to play some other stuff on my own from some guitar music tab/books that i have. do i need to transpose any of the chords to another key or different chords or can i just play whatever sheet music (chords) i find for guitar on the ukulele? i played through one of my song books for kids and most of the songs sounded pretty good on the uke. i'm just wondering because i have found quite a few uke tab/chord sites and i'm wondering why they are needed if you can just play the same chords you'd find on guitar sheet music. thanks for any help!

the chords you play are always the same, of course, if it fits your voice better to sing in a different key you should transpose. I think the main reason for those sites (apart from tabs, which are different between guitar and Uke, of course) is that you find a lot of songs just on one page with the right Uke chord shape diagrams. other than that, there's no difference.

hope that helped

Nope, you can play what's there. A G is a G whether you play it on guitar, uke, mandolin or balalaika.

Some people like to avoid difficult chords, and with some songs transposing will get it into a key with easy-to-play chords. For example, you can take a song that goes E/A/B, pull it down four steps and you're at C/F/G, all of which are cake on a uke.

--Mark

Top Bottom