Low G Tuning, Strings

HungSolo

Reaction score
Do you guys use a different string when using low G tuning versus the standard tuning? I feel the tension is too low on the regular string that came on the Uke I just got and the intonation goes to crap when tuning down an octave.

yah you will need a thicker G string for low G tuning. go to a guitar shop that sells strings individually with your uke. and look for a string that is a little thicker than your C string. string that one on and if you got a good thickness, you should have better tension to play in that tuning configuration. or if you have some spare guitar string lying around, you might be able to use the wound D string for your low G.

that's what I thought. Thanks Nuke!

I'm already starting to see the need for a 2nd Uke to keep one high and one low! :) :)

that's what I thought. Thanks Nuke!

I'm already starting to see the need for a 2nd Uke to keep one high and one low! :) :)

haha youre telling me. ive got three main ukes already and ive only been playing since august. optimally i would like a uke tuned in each of the following:

4 string high G
4 string low G
6 string octaved A strings
6 string two high A strings
8 string

all tenor
all similar in construction

basically 5 identical ukes other than the way they are strung up.

haha youre telling me. ive got three main ukes already and ive only been playing since august. optimally i would like a uke tuned in each of the following:

4 string high G
4 string low G
6 string octaved A strings
6 string two high A strings
8 string

all tenor
all similar in construction

basically 5 identical ukes other than the way they are strung up.

lllaazzzyyyy

aldrine has his concert tuned to low G from what i remember. its on one of his later videos on youtube.

edit: ok i just found it. its on the Ill Be Here A While cover

Does Aldrine or Jake use the Low G string?

Aldrine has his Kamaka tenor strung with high G. According to Jake he always uses high G. Back when I first started trying to learn his songs I thought he used low G. I was working on some songs he recorded on a CD entitled "The Art of Solo Ukulele". It was a compilation with Jake, Benny Chong, Byron Yasui and Gordon Mark. I was hearing tones lower than C so I just assumed he used low G. Turns out that Byron talked Jake into tuning his tenor a full step lower when recording the songs for that CD. I have recently discovered that he tuned a half step down on the two Pure Heart CDs that I have.

One of the most important things when trying to figure out a song is to know for sure what tuning is being used. I found this out the hard way.

using regular nylon strings. for low G tuning.

put C string where G string goes,

put G string where E string goes,

put E string where C string goes,

leave A string where it is.

i use hilo strings

does this not make the strings feel a little too low tensioned? i would think they would be a little mushy, no? but then again, i never tried it this way.

i just used a spare wound C string for the low G. since it is a wound string, the tension is still very close to the other strings, even though its tuned down 5 steps.

Does Aldrine or Jake use the Low G string?

I almost always use a high G when playing ukulele.

Although on some performances, I would bring two ukuleles (one tuned with a low G) to performances. I would have songs that I played a low G. Breezin was played with a low G when I played it in the key of D. We also do this 311 song called "Whiskey and wine" and I play that song with a low G.

So for me, it depends what song I'm trying to play. Some calls for that low bass sound and some don't.

Once again... personal preference.

using regular nylon strings. for low G tuning.

put C string where G string goes,

put G string where E string goes,

put E string where C string goes,

leave A string where it is.

i use hilo strings

Has anyone else done this? i'm really interested in trying low-g, and this seems like a good way to give it a try

Worth non-wound strings

Worth makes a nice line of strings for low G tuning that are made of fluorocarbon and are not wound. I like mine a lot. I got mine on the fleamarketmusic website.

Top Bottom