Profile Design

ukulele2544

Reaction score
South Korea (Originally from Honolulu, Hawaii)
Maybe everyone can design their own profile. Like the youtube channles.

this is kinda possible by loading the forum full of themes that people can choose in their control panel... the downside is that said people tend to suddenly expect you to webdev-fix every little css flaw etc for their theme, and this creates overhead for the admins.

Nice to have, but I don't think it'll happen any time soon unfortunately... Sorry...

this is kinda possible by loading the forum full of themes that people can choose in their control panel... the downside is that said people tend to suddenly expect you to webdev-fix every little css flaw etc for their theme, and this creates overhead for the admins.

Nice to have, but I don't think it'll happen any time soon unfortunately... Sorry...
No I mean like on youtube. You can change the whole channel's theme and everything. But your talking about the whole forum right?

No I mean like on youtube. You can change the whole channel's theme and everything. But your talking about the whole forum right?

Ah.. I get what you mean now. Might be do-able, but probably not worth anyone's admin time - but it's up to them to research it and make a call. The last I heard, the way that VBulletin *kinda* impliments this is a coding trainwreck...

Is this even something that vB is capable of doing?
vB does have the option to enable Profile Styling.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249460

See post #10 (there are some screen shots, too).

Member Customization of Profile Page

The administrator may choose to allow his members to use the profile page customization tool, which allows users to alter fonts, colors, background and borders etc. of their profile page in order to create a more personalized look.

The administrator can lock-down customization permissions, in order to prevent the personalized pages being made too offensively awful by aesthetically challenged members... nobody wants to see some of those really ugly MySpace pages on your vBulletin installation!

That would be awesome! I vote for this!

Are you looking for more fun projects? You know what will happen to you.

Hey like I said its therapeutic :) I hope to be able to someday use all these things in a portfolio to possibly get a job in graphic design or something :D

I would think it would allow backgrounds to be either loaded on the uu server, or a seperate hosting site. But either way I think there is a limit to how many images you can put in your album so either way it wouldn't be any more drag on the server than having that image in the album would, I would think...

I would think it would allow backgrounds to be either loaded on the uu server, or a seperate hosting site. But either way I think there is a limit to how many images you can put in your album so either way it wouldn't be any more drag on the server than having that image in the album would, I would think...
When I was researching for the link I posted above, somewhere it said that vB profile backgrounds needed to come from a public user album, that they wouldn't work from a private one.

As far as seperate image hosting sites go, they tend to slow things down, as it takes a "call" to an outside server and response time before the image can be served up. If the outside server is down, busy or just slow, it can hang up loading the vB page that's calling it.

When I was researching for the link I posted above, somewhere it said that vB profile backgrounds needed to come from a public user album, that they wouldn't work from a private one.

As far as seperate image hosting sites go, they tend to slow things down, as it takes a "call" to an outside server and response time before the image can be served up. If the outside server is down, busy or just slow, it can hang up loading the vB page that's calling it.

Hmm good point.

Top Bottom