UFC...comments?

FunkyPeaNutZ

UU+
Reaction score
Unfortunately I was unable to catch the webcast. But for those who watched the UFC, what did you guys like? Hightlights?

My highlight was watching Nate Quarry's post fight interview when he quoted Rocky...he was talking to the Canadian crowd, and he busted, "If I can change, you can change, we all can change!!!" Had to see it, it was classic.

Nice fight card for May.

Penn vs. Sherk
Ortiz vs. Machida
Jardine vs. My 2nd father Wanderlei Silva

I hope Rayan and the boys don't have anything scheduled for that night.

i only caught the replay off torrents this morning cuz i missed it on ppv, but so far i've watched goulet and that japanese dude, franklin/lutter, and GSP/Serra Fight.

Probably the best was Franklin/Lutter fight, cuz of a counter that Franklin pulled when Lutter had him in a arm bar, it was pure genius.

GSP/Serra Fight was awful.

*Update* I actually also liked the Danzig/Bocek fight it was a war. Danzig was such a weird/mean dude on the last season of ultimate fighter, but he's got big things ahead of him.

Last edited:
I still need to find these fights. The only fights I was interested in was the GSP Serra fight and the Cain Velasquez fight. Cain is supposed to be the next Fedor.

Watched the fights last night. I am bummed, but I think that even though Franklin won, he is washed up. I always want him to win....who knows. Serra was non-existent in the fight vs. St. Pierre. Bisbing has dropped a lot of weight....20lbs since the U. Fighter, as has Danzig. Never really liked Danzig's attitude on the show...glass is half full/nobody belongs in the ring with me - attitude. He does have skills though and it showed in the ring..

... I am bummed, but I think that even though Franklin won, he is washed up. I always want him to win....who knows...

Washed up, I disagree. His confidence is not what it used to be but he has a lot of fight left in him. You have to remember he has always been a humble guy so his lack of chest beating shouldn't be confused for his heart. Ken Shamrock is a perfect example of someone that is washed up.

and what was up with Kalib Stearns?

I thought Kenny Florian did a good job too. He and Joe Rogan would be a good team.

Bisping looked awesome last night too. Very light on feet.

Last edited:
I thought the canadian crowd was amazing. haven't seen such an informed crowd in awhile.

I still need to find these fights. The only fights I was interested in was the GSP Serra fight and the Cain Velasquez fight. Cain is supposed to be the next Fedor.

i just found this website...has ALL of them! adding this to my favorites list! haha!
http://www.pancrase.org/http://

Oh almost forgot on the quarry fight, quarry the american fighter, was constantly cheered everytime his face was put on the tv screen, the canadian fighter barnes i believe his name was, was booed everytime the cameras panned back to him. The ref was finding it hard to keep his composure. Probably the worst fight of the night, but the post fight events were the best of the night.

Apparently his performance was a statement to Dana White:

STARNES REQUESTED RELEASE

Criticized Canadian Calls UFC Contract ‘Most Oppressive’

By Mike Russell (gfn@thefightnetwork.com)

Kalib Starnes on Monday set out to clarify circumstances regarding his pending release from the Ultimate Fighting Championship. He countered a report from Yahoo! Sports’ Kevin Iole in which UFC president Dana White seemed to indicate the Surrey, British Columbia, native had been cut from his contract.

“He just doesn’t belong in the UFC, and after his performance the other night, he should consider a new line of work,” White said, referring to Starnes’ widely criticized effort against Nate Quarry at UFC 83: Serra vs. St. Pierre 2 on Saturday at the Bell Centre in Montreal.

Starnes told The Fight Network that he requested his release from the remainder of his UFC contract, which had been carried over from his appearance on “The Ultimate Fighter” reality series and ensured him three fights per year.

“[UFC matchmaker] Joe Silva told me that it usually takes a couple of days for their legal department to complete the paperwork and that he would send me all of the paperwork to indicate that my contract has been dissolved,” Starnes said. “Later on in the afternoon, after I had spoken to Joe Silva, a story was released by some reporter from Yahoo! in which Dana White said that he had released me from my contract. I received no documentation on that, and it came after I asked to be released.”

Starnes – who dropped a unanimous decision to Quarry and was booed by his fellow Canadians for failing to engage – called White’s comments unprofessional and inappropriate.

“In my opinion, it was inappropriate to make public statements regarding my character and my future and so on the way that he has, especially without having the courage and the respect to call me up and speak with me personally,” Starnes said. “All of these comments come from a man that has never had a fight in his entire life who claims to be the ultimate authority on fighting and courage. I couldn’t be happier than to be released from the most oppressive contract I’ve ever been under in my life.”

According to the American Top Team-trained fighter, injuries led to his switch from an offensive to defensive mode against Quarry. For a majority of the fight, Starnes back pedaled out of harm’s way and away from his opponent’s dangerous punches. A former challenger for the UFC middleweight championship, Quarry battered Starnes with leg kicks throughout the three-round bout.

“Right now, I have a broken foot [that] I sustained with the first kick I threw in the fight,” Starnes said. “My leg is purple and black from my knee up, I have a black eye, a sprained jaw, and he’s questioning my desire to fight? If that isn’t enough to satisfy him and the crowd, I can show them the medical report. I can barely walk. [Quarry] totally destroyed my thigh with those kicks. I’m sure a lot of people would rather see me suffer a traumatic brain injury and be rendered unconscious. That’s too bad. If that’s what they want, they’re paying the wrong guy $10,000 to get his brain smashed in.”

Starnes then invited White to walk a few feet in his shoes.

“Dana White wouldn’t stand and trade with a guy [like Quarry] who had an 80 or 90 percent knockout ratio with injuries like I had Saturday night,” Starnes said. “He wouldn’t cross the street for $10,000. I don’t have anything to prove to anybody. I’m not about to stand there and get smashed to pieces. After I knew my foot was broken, I was trying to back up and work off the jab and keep moving so I didn’t get knocked out.”

Rumors also surfaced Monday that Starnes had dropped a bombshell – that his performance was a direct protest to his pay rate and insurance that he would be let go from the remainder of his contract – on a Montreal radio show following his match with Quarry. Starnes called the rumors ludicrous.

“Any report or rumor that I came on any radio station to comment on the fight or circumstances surrounding the fight or in reference to the UFC or Dana White is completely false,” he said. “I’ve been back in Florida since Sunday, and it was Dana White who decided to come out and publicly attack my character, not the other way around. That’s the way he felt like he should go. Maybe he thinks that character assassination might prevent me from moving on and fighting for another organization or carrying on a career. If he thinks it’s appropriate to attack me, it isn’t.”

POSTED -- 04/22/08

http://www.thefightnetwork.com/news_detail.php?nid=6978

Apparently his performance was a statement to Dana White:

So his foot was broken? it didnt look like it the way we was running away, but i'm not him and if he wants to say that he can. But, his performance was a mess.

GIMME A RUNNING MAN!

Top Bottom