Dry fretboard!

Nikadocious

Reaction score
The fretboard on my Uke seems to be a little on the dry side compared to my acoustic guitar. I want to oil the fretboard with Dunlop 65 lemon oil. Is it ok for me to just loosen the strings to get them out of the way? I don't want to toss the strings because they are still new. I'm assuming it'll be fine.

I think you should be fine, I was going to recommend lemon oil as it "feeds" the fretboard best, I sometimes use a little on very fine steel wool to buff it up a bit.:p

Thanks for the quick reply. I applied the lemon oil and now my uke looks and SMELLS great!

I have even applied lemon oil by sliding a rag under the strings. Heck, I've even oiled the strings before. I think it would take some seriously harsh chemicals to hurt Aquilas or Worths.

I have even applied lemon oil by sliding a rag under the strings. Heck, I've even oiled the strings before. I think it would take some seriously harsh chemicals to hurt Aquilas or Worths.

:agree: I like to keep my fret board's nice and oiled...

I saw a post a while back from someone who sounded like they knew what they were talking about, that the fretboard oil in those expensive instrument care kits is just plain ol mineral oil. Any truth to that?

Howard Feed and Wax is good stuff. It's made from orange oil and beeswax. Smells great, moisturizes, shines up pretty.

feednwax2003.jpg

Got my bottle at the Home Depot.

I too love the smell of Lem Oil, and heartily recommend on wooden fingerboards.

I use Kyser Dr Stringfellows.

Also, have a luck at Ducks Ax Wax. Good stuff.

Hi Guys,
lemon oil is not what it seems, I would seriously not recommend it.
Can I suggest Fret doctor, this stuff is really great nourishes the wood properly. It is a bore oil used on wood wind instruments and now available to fretted instruments, it really is the only stuff to use.

here's good idea of the stuff as used on a Les Paul

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/custom-shop/6695-fret-doctor-before-after-pictures.html

you should be able to find it ok by doing a google search

as per my response on another thread, what is wrong with lemon oil? top makers support it. or are you under the payment of the product you are endorsing??

Most "Lemon Oil" products aren't actually lemon oil. It's more like mineral oil with additives, usually naptha with a touch (.2% or so) of lemon essence for scent.

I wouldn't worry too much about it though. As long as you dont overdo it and soak the fretboard in it you should be fine. You don't want excess oil (any kind) seeping under the frets and soaking into the end grain of the wood. It'll soften the wood and eventually cause you more problems than you care to deal with.

Just a drop or two between each fret, spread it around (avoiding the frets if possible) and let it soak in for a few minutes then wipe off the excess. I do it with strings in place, or just do it during a string change.

Last edited:
Gerlitz Guitar Honey. Worked great with #0000 steel wool. No dirt shadows on my rosewood fretboard! No silicone, no lemon oil.

100_5592.jpg

as per my response on another thread, what is wrong with lemon oil? top makers support it. or are you under the payment of the product you are endorsing??

I have replied in the other thread too.
I have no association with any products at all, The Lemon oil that is sold as Lemon oil these days is not the stuff it used to be. I am only trying to offer a bit of advice. I know the danger of public forums where people turn up and seem to know everything about everything and everyone's an expert.
I would rather put Cat Wee on a fretboard than commercial lemon oil, The wood holds on to it and over use and prolonged use is really not good.
Gibson , don't care what you do to your guitar or uke for that matter once they've sold it to you.
They will frankly put their name on anything if they get a sale out of it look at their recent involvement in the Gibson Hendrix strat!

Anyways didn't want to upset anyone, just recommending great stuff to nourish dry fretboarsd.
I don't have any connection with Fret doctor.
Equally I don't have any connection with Linseed oil either

As I said in the other thread, didn't mean to upset ofr tread on anyones corns sorry!

I've heard a few warnings against using lemon oil also. In my brief dabbling with the bass, bass players usually deal with large fretboards will use boiled linseed oil. Found in hardware stores, use in small amounts and wipe completely dry.
Concerns with lemon oil are that it's acidic nature can weaken fretboard material overtime. It is said to cause the fingerboard to loosen and crack and this can be seen as drying the board. To answer the question, that is what's the hub-bub with lemon oil.
In spite of having heard of this, I still use lemon oil on my guitars and ukes with no ill effects yet. I may try boiled linseed oil sometime.
Ernest

One of my ukes needs a change of strings so I stopped by the hardware store and bought a can of boiled linseed oil.
Once I got my old strings off, I rubbed some linseed oil on the fretboard (a little goes a long way.). I also rubbed some oil on the bridge and clean the tuning gears with the same rag.
I wiped the oil off and it leaves a shiny surface. It is dry to the touch. Now my Lanikai lu-11 smells like pecans instead of lemons. Seems to do the job though.
$7.50 gets you a 32 OZ. can. Since I oil my instruments sparingly, I have a lifetime supply. It says it protects tools too so I'll find other uses.
Ernest

Picture090.jpg

Picture091.jpg

I've used lemon oil for 30 years now with no problems. Now that being said use only pure lemon oil- not the furniture lemon oil. It contains silicons and other stuff you don't want on unfinished wood. Boiled Linseed is ok too. I do it about every 6 months and my fret and finger boards stay like new. I also like to take #0000 steel wool and polish the frets. Rub it on the wood to take out any blemishes then Lemon oil it. I let is sit for 5 or 10 minutes then wipe off the excess.

Top Bottom