Song Help Request Does it sound right when guys' sing "You're so Vain?"

Wagster

Reaction score
I just can't wrap my head around this concept. Maybe I've just heard Carly sing it too many times?

One of my band members' sister sings a few songs with us and we've been working up a version of this song. But I hate the thought of not being able to play it when she's not with us (which happens alot).

I've watched some u tube videos of guys singing this song, but it's just not the same to me as having a female sing it.

Wadda y'all think? Guy...or no guy?

Oh..and to keep this uku-related, this song plays out real nice on the ukulele. It's been stuck in my head for days now. I just can't bring myself to sing it in public. (I shouldn't be allowed to sing in public anyway, but congress has yet to pass that bill)

To *ME* it doesn't sound right when anybody who isn't Carly Simon sings it, but I'm a disputatious old curmudgeon who can't sing, so it doesn't matter what I think. :D

Yeah, why not? Give it a try. Should be a nice uke tune, anyway.

I don't think I'd sing it solo for an audience, but I sing it around the house all the time and wouldn't hesitate to sing it as part of a group.

But yeah, it sounds best when Carly sings it.

--Mark

To *ME* it doesn't sound right when anybody who isn't Carly Simon sings it, but I'm a disputatious old curmudgeon who can't sing, so it doesn't matter what I think. :D

Yeah, why not? Give it a try. Should be a nice uke tune, anyway.

<insert southern baptist choir>
Amen, hallelujah, amen
<end choir>

although i will sing the chorus if it fits the situation.

If you can sing the song well and can make it your own I don't think the sex of the singer really matters.

Way back in the Tin Pan Alley Dark Ages when publishers ruled the world of printed sheet music you were frequently barred from changing a word of a popular song so you would end up with a lot of inadvertently gay songs (and some not so inadvertent as well.) (The Twin Cities Ukulele Orchestra actually plays a few songs now and again originally sung by women where I've never bothered to change the sexes in the lyric. I don't think anybody notices or cares really.)

But as far as "You're so Vain" goes. If you can sing it and own it that's all that matters.

Top Bottom