Song Help Request Mika - Blue Eyes

jinny

Reaction score
I know Aldrine's Kamaka has got the same name as this guy, but I don't think Aldy's girl has got blue eyes... or ANY eyes for that matter.;)

anywho, I've been digging this Mika song. It's got a serious Paul Simon feel and a general Island vibe to it. Just a fun tune and the repetition in the chorus/melody makes it very catchy. A rough facsimile of the the guitar and/or piano (depending on version) intro/riff was pretty easy to puzzle out for picking, but my less-than-perfect ear is not great at pulling out chords. I've tried a few chord progressions that seem to work for me... but maybe something's not right. I blame my ear. I usually steal some guitar chords for this kinda thing but i couldn't find any.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

edit: adding tab for guitar riff and chords that I use...

Oh... and here's my quick uke tabs of the guitar riff.

Code:
A |---------4--------------------------------4---------------------------]
E |-------6-----6---------1--4------------6------6----------4--7---------]
C |--6------------6----1-------------6--------------6----1---------------]
G |----------------------------------------------------------------------]

A |---------6----------------2--6-----------6----------------------------]
E |-------7-----7---------4---------------7------7----------2-----1------]
C |--8------------8----3-------------8--------------8----3-----1---------]

something like that. It's not exact... for one thing I think his is keyed at C and mine is a little higher to accommodate the whole riff... I think... I'm just guessing here. Remember, bad ear.

this goes on thru most of the song... and I suppose I can do that, but sometimes strumming chords sounds fuller to me when ukeing alone.

sometimes I will use two chords for this song... not sure if there's anything better, but the chords I use are... I think... Gb (or F#) and G#m
Code:
A |--1------2----]
E |--2------4----]
C |--1------3----]
G |--3------1----]

I'm okay with what I got but I feel there might be something better out there... you never know... someday Aldrine will do a tutorial on it and have it worked out all good and I'll just run to a dark corner and weep.

thanks again for any input you guys might have.

Last edited:
It just occured to me that one of the chords I use (G#m) is a pain to get to quickly... I relearn this whenever I try to play :mraz: without down tuning... well, at least it's pain to get to for me... my fingers cramp up eventually during the song.

you may have also noticed that my picking and chords have no open notes so to save your fingers from cramping like mine, I might consider playing this with a capo and use the F and Gm chord shape... for the picking with a capo, pick the same notes on the fretboard. but I guess in terms of tab notation, you should subtract 1 from all the numbers.

Alternatively, you can play the song in the F key using the F and Gm chords and the same picking tab but with subtracting 1 from each number. only thing is that playing in this key might be easier on your fingers and voice (for deeper voiced peeps), but then you can't play along with the actual song. Oh well. :)

like this...
Code:
A |---------3--------------------------------3---------------------------]
E |-------5-----5---------0--3------------5------5----------3--6---------]
C |--5------------5----0-------------5--------------5----0---------------]

A |---------5----------------1--5-----------5----------------------------]
E |-------6-----6---------3---------------6------6----------1-----0------]
C |--7------------7----2-------------7--------------7----2-----0---------]

Code:
A |--0------1----]