Good Morning!

didgeridoo2

Reaction score
At least it's morning here in SoCal while I post this. I was in Kuaui in August and came home with my first uke - A Leolani zebrawood concert that I paid too much for. But it hooked me and I've been playing just about everyday since. I acquired a Kala travel tenor since then and am looking to upgrade again (and again and maybe even again....).

As my name implies I also play the didgeridoo. I've been playing for about 5 years now and spent a couple thousand dollars on acquiring authentic yidaki and magos from the top end. I have been studying mostly traditional styles of play in hopes of developing my own musical talents. Yet, cultural integrity is of the upmost importance when dealing with yidaki and mago, so you have to become a bit of an amateur anthropologist when dealing with artists. I do have a couple of very nice didges from US makers, as well.

The uke has been a nice change and I haven't really been playing didge, lately. I also have a beard now and it's more difficult to retain a seal around the mouthpiece, so the uke is a perfect stand-in. Perhaps I'll one day feel comfortable playing both instruments at the same time. :cool:

Today, I hope to take a long look at the Kala Acacia at a local music shop. I'm not sure if I'm looking to upgrade my concert uke, or try to trade in the tenor. I really like the travel tenor, except it doesn't sound as warm as I'd like it too. I'm wondering if a change from aquila to worth strings may help. If anyone has done this with the travel ukes, please let me know if you prefer it. I also looked at some Ohana's yesterday (they're nice) and I've read great things about Mainland ukes, but there doesn't seem to be anyone locally that carries them.

Well, that's it for now. This looks to be a nice place to hang out and I look forward to getting to know y'all.

peace.

-jeff

Welcome to UU :) I'm sure you'll get a lot of good advice as people welcome you but if not then check out the 'Buyer's Tips' section of the forum. It's great to have you!

Welcome to UU, Didge. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Sounds like you have a case of UAS already. Welcome to the Underground.

I really like the travel tenor, except it doesn't sound as warm as I'd like it too. I'm wondering if a change from aquila to worth strings may help. If anyone has done this with the travel ukes, please let me know if you prefer it.
Welcome to UU, Jeff!

As far as strings go, you'll find fans of both Aquilas and Worths here. The consensus seems to be that different ukes often sound better with different brands of strings. Personally, I like the Worths and think they do sound warmer on my tenor (not a Kala, BTW). But there's only one way to find out and that's just give it a try! :)

Welcome to UU, Jeff!

As far as strings go, you'll find fans of both Aquilas and Worths here. The consensus seems to be that different ukes often sound better with different brands of strings. Personally, I like the Worths and think they do sound warmer on my tenor (not a Kala, BTW). But there's only one way to find out and that's just give it a try! :)

Thanks, itsme. I actually solved my problem by upgrading to the Kala Acacia today. The shop owner was very cool about allowing me to trade in my tenor and I walked out with the Acacia and a soprano travel as part of the deal. So I guess I did have a bout of UAS. I had DAS for so long, I'm not sure my wife will be too happy about my new disease. Although, maybe by explaining that she can learn on the cute little ukulele may help.

Top Bottom