Strings stretched, loosened then stretched..

kissing

Reaction score
I was doing some saddle work on my Eleuke, and I had to loosen the strings, then re-tighten them several times (like 5 or more).

But I can't help but get this icky feeling that loosening and re-tightening the strings multiple times would "waste" the strings, as I'm stretching it too much.

I'm being tempted to just change the strings to new ones for peace of mind that my strings have not been "worn out" from the multiple loosenings, but I'm also being a bit of a Scrooge this Christmas with ordering strings.

Am I just being overly sensitive? Or is it actually a good idea to change strings once they've loosened and retightened a certain amount of times?

I have overstretched strings a couple of times, to the point where they needed to be replaced. Each time only one string of the four needed to be replaced. And it's always been nylon or fluorocarbon strings, never Aquilas.

The main considerations: Do the strings still sound okay? Is the intonation still good?

Ugh, the thing is I don't know whether the strings are ok lol

Is the uke sounding as good as it should? Or is it being handicapped from overstretching :(

Just wanted to know whether stretching strings from zero tension to playing tension over and over is bad for the strings in general :)

I think I'll stick with these strings for a while. I do have new strings coming.

Some times streching is good for the strings, you never want them too tight, you want them to settle. If you can't really tell if the strings sound bad, then they probably don't, i say just stick with them.

Top Bottom