Washburn Vintage Series Parlor Acoustic

psesinkclee

Reaction score
Hey all.

I've got myself a full sized Washburn on its way (coming today or tomorrow!) and I'm looking out for a smaller one mainly for travel and as a guitar I won't worry about getting some nice dings on.

Washburn has a vintage series now with Parlor guitar models. The lowest end one is all laminate (Trembesi back and sides with a Spruce top) and runs around 450$ with a nice hard case. I've always been impressed with Washburn's quality even on the instruments made overseas (been playing around on my Dad's dreadnought from the 70s from Chicago for a while that is a beauty).

http://cgi.ebay.com/Washburn-R314K-Parlour-Guitar-Aged-Top_W0QQitemZ300373290690QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item45efa4aec2#ht_8868wt_1167

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this guitar as I haven't seen it in any guitar shops around me. Also if anyone has suggestions of parlor guitars in the 'up to 450' price range that might be better.

I forgot to mention that the Art & Lutherie Ami I linked has a solid cedar top, laminate cherry back & sides, and is made in Canada.

I've mentioned it many times - I'm a Taylor acoustic player and my son has an art & lutherie dreadnought ($250) that stands up very, very well next to my guitar. I don't know how they do it!

I researched that Art and Lutherie a bunch online in forums and stores and have not found anyone saying anything negative against it. I think thats what I will aim for when next semester gets rolling and the tutoring pays off hahaa.

I researched that Art and Lutherie a bunch online in forums and stores and have not found anyone saying anything negative against it. I think thats what I will aim for when next semester gets rolling and the tutoring pays off hahaa.

I have a friend with an A&L acoustic. He played my Masterbilt and immediately bought one.

I recommend a Cort L900P, in about that price range. In my opinion, a bit more integrity of construction, plus solid top and back. They sound nice.

Washburn

Washburn has a vintage series now with Parlor guitar models.
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this guitar as I haven't seen it in any guitar shops around me.

I have played one. Very pleasant. Doesn't stand up to my 66 Martin 000-18, but then, what does?;) But I thought the design was very cool and if I had not basically moved on to ukes I might consider it. My son bought a new Martin laminate, and it's very nice, but I wish he had seen this (mainly so I could have messed with it...)

I have owned the A&L "Ami", but the tone and resonance seems more compressed than I prefer. I tried the "high strung" or Nashville tuning (same as the octave set on a 12 string) and it sounds nice for a different voice in the mix.

As for the Washburn Parlor I believe even the "14" has a solid spruce (??? maybe) top over the laminated sides and back. The nut width is much wider on the Washburn at 1-7/8 while the A&L is just a smidgen more than 1-11/16 which is tight for me on a 12 fret parlor. The ones I have seen are nice for the money and have more range of tone and resonance than the A&L (and I do love Godin Guitars).

Last edited:
Larrivee has a nice parlor guitar with a good reputation. I've seen used ones sell on ebay as low as 450 dollars depending on the model.

Martin made a plastic one (they call it by another name), which is very nice too.

Personally - I'd run like hell from Cort. Haven't found one yet that intonates well and the construction is - well, I'm a snob I admit it.

That Washburn looks astonishingly good for the price. On the high end, I'd recommend a Martin Size 5 / "Minimartin" (no not the little laminate jobs) reproduction. I'm biased, I own one...

Well I ended up impulse buying a Baby Taylor the other week and love it. Got a custom Sapele pickguard for it so it matches the Sapele back and sides and it looks fantastic.

I'm still looking for a travel guitar though.. between the Washburn Rover, a Go-Guitar Grande, and a laminate Little Martin for travel this summer. My main problem is that all summer I'm in a tent in South Africa when its winter there. It gets hot during the day and down to the single digits at night. I was thinking of the little martin (with it being all laminate) with a hard case from SKB but then I'll probably have to put it in the hold of the plane for the long 18 hour flight and I'm not too fond of that.. I'm leaning towards the Go-Guitar b/c of its size and durability. Plus its hand-made, not too expensive, and made by Sam Radding (who apprenticed Bob Taylor of Taylor Guitars).

Anyone heard anything about these little guys?

Well I ended up impulse buying a Baby Taylor the other week and love it. Got a custom Sapele pickguard for it so it matches the Sapele back and sides and it looks fantastic.

I'm still looking for a travel guitar though.. between the Washburn Rover, a Go-Guitar Grande, and a laminate Little Martin for travel this summer. My main problem is that all summer I'm in a tent in South Africa when its winter there. It gets hot during the day and down to the single digits at night. I was thinking of the little martin (with it being all laminate) with a hard case from SKB but then I'll probably have to put it in the hold of the plane for the long 18 hour flight and I'm not too fond of that.. I'm leaning towards the Go-Guitar b/c of its size and durability. Plus its hand-made, not too expensive, and made by Sam Radding (who apprenticed Bob Taylor of Taylor Guitars).

Anyone heard anything about these little guys?

The Washburn Rover is nice enough for mass produced - the steel string plays ok. I've thought about the nylon string Rover myself. Also not a hardship if something were to happen to it - it's pretty cheap. Hard to hold though - but that's true of all of them. I'd love to get my mitts on a Go... never saw one in the wild.

Top Bottom