Koaloha Set Up

adam2180

Reaction score
I just got my new Koaloha soprano in the mail yesterday. I was immediately impressed with the wood and craftsmanship. I was not at all impressed with the factory set up. The action at the nut and saddle were far to low. The strings were doing alot of buzzing on the frets. The string spacing on the nut was far to tight for me but thats a personal thing. I am having it set up properly with a bone nut and saddle at my local shop, I expect the tone and volume will be fantastic when its done. Has anyone else found the factory set ups to be so poor?

Never had a problem with any of mine, but I like lower action.

Mine are fine as well. I did get two of my koalohas after someone else owned them first so not sure if they set them up. I remember reading here once before that the set up is kind of generic to allow the owner to set it up their way.

I no problem with my tenor..I bought my koaloha through MGM so I dunno who set it up him or koaloha

I love KoAloha but I've seen a wide range of action setups on their instruments that I own. 2007 Superconcert was medium-high. 2002 Supersoprano was medium-high. Both of those were taken care of by Brian free of charge when I brought them in. 2003 tenor was rather high, and the action needed to be lowered a the nut and saddle. Did that one myself since I didn't want to bother Brian again. 2009 Sceptre was actually just right, maybe a TINY bit on the high side, but basically, just right. 2009 Pineapple sunday was too low, and there was a buzz on mine. Looked like the whole batch of PS that mine came from had recieved a very low action setup. That's being fixed in the shop now. I figured a UST shim would do the job. So two birds with one stone. :D

I think GX9901 on these forums has experienced the same thing, with some KoAlohas having skyscraper action, and his PS having buttery low action.

But setups are easily remidied, especially when they're too high. Too low, is a bit harder to fix by yourself at home unless you're a fan of toothpick shims.

I just got my new Koaloha soprano in the mail yesterday. I was immediately impressed with the wood and craftsmanship. I was not at all impressed with the factory set up. The action at the nut and saddle were far to low. The strings were doing alot of buzzing on the frets. The string spacing on the nut was far to tight for me but thats a personal thing. I am having it set up properly with a bone nut and saddle at my local shop, I expect the tone and volume will be fantastic when its done. Has anyone else found the factory set ups to be so poor?

Oh yeah, and I'm curious. How much does the bone nut and saddle job cost? I might want to have that done to one of my KoAlohas in the future, or maybe even do it myself.

My Koaloha will be wonderful when its properly set up, bone does great things to your tone. I really like my new uke, even with the poor set up I am impressed with workmanship and tone. For the record in my experience every stringed instrument no mater how expensive, needs a proper set up from someone who really knows how to get the most out of your instrument. Factory set up's are always bad.

This thread starts with:
Has anyone else found the factory set ups to be so poor?

And ends with:
For the record in my experience every stringed instrument no mater how expensive, needs a proper set up from someone who really knows how to get the most out of your instrument. Factory set up's are always bad.

I'm not quite sure I get the intent of starting this thread if you already know that "every stringed instrument no matter how expensive, needs a proper set up".

Last edited:
Let me be the first to say what my set up actually is, 1/8" or 3mm measured between the top of the twelfth fret and the fourth string. That's the action on a new KoAloha long neck soprano I bought from MGM a few weeks ago and a used KoAloha KCM-00 I bought from a forum member last week. "My action's too high", "my action's too low", or "the factory setup is usually medium-high" doesn't really tell up a thing.

Jude

It's a personal preference and pretty subjective, but for the record I didn't feel the need to futz with the action of either of two concerts I got used and doubt that the previous owners did either (I'm guessing the second languished in a closet for most of eight years with the factory strings on it still.) Just about ideal action for my money. YMMV.

Adjust it to your liking and enjoy.

I mean, it's not as if it's a flaw in the actual instrument and an issue you apparently already anticipate with every new instrument. Plus if you're adding the bone nut and saddle, you're already solving your issue and upgrading.
You just may be a bit more particular about your preferred action than some of us which is perfectly fine, but I think hardly a reflection on the instrument itself.

Let's remember that it is impossible for a factory to set-up to each individual's taste. A hundred different people have a hundred different opinions for set-up. Usually the factory will have a standard measure that they are set up to and then the dealer you purchase from can dial it in from there. As for KoAloha, my ukes are fantastic!!! I bought mine from MGM, though, and was able to communicate with him how I want them set up and with which strings. When they arrived, they were perfect, which is the benefit of purchasing from a reputable dealer.

This thread starts with:

And ends with:

I'm not quite sure I get the intent of starting this thread if you already know that "every stringed instrument no matter how expensive, needs a proper set up".

This has been my experience, I am wondering if other folks have shared the same experience.

This has been my experience, I am wondering if other folks have shared the same experience.

I'm not saying I disagree with you. On the contrary, setup costs are really underestimated, and it is widely understood that factory setups should be on the high side.

I do disagree with the manner in which you posted it. How about:

I just received my factory instrument with my expectant high action. I'm going to have it setup with blah blah blah etc etc etc. Anyone else experience this?

Just my $.02

This is always a difficult topic.

Different people have different preferences for the set-up and action on their ukes. Therefore, a high action is not necessarily a fault in itself, nor is it usually indicative of a problem at all.

High action on a string instrument is a default state awaiting adjustment to suit the player's personal taste.

A high action can be adjusted to suit anyone. A very low action from the factory would mean that nuts and saddles would have to be replaced or shimmed to suit a player who prefers a beefier action. Not ideal at all. Despite its popularity with some members, shimming can have an adverse effect on an instrument's tone.

I see nothing wrong with posts that mention a certain model having a high default action, as it is always nice to know what to expect from any uke out-of-the-box, but we do need to take care not to give the impression that high action is a fault. It is not a fault.

IMO, the OP's post of impressions upon receiving the new uke was, at heart, a helpful post. However, I would have preferred to have seen the action described as "high", rather than the very subjective description of the set-up as "poor".

We all see things differently.

BTW, I am a little envious of Adam having such a nice uke! :D

I agree, high action is fine because one can adjust it, way too low action (which I had) is a bad thing.

I'm not saying I disagree with you. On the contrary, setup costs are really underestimated, and it is widely understood that factory setups should be on the high side.

I do disagree with the manner in which you posted it. How about:

I just received my factory instrument with my expectant high action. I'm going to have it setup with blah blah blah etc etc etc. Anyone else experience this?

Just my $.02

Thank you for setting me straight.

I agree, high action is fine because one can adjust it, way too low action (which I had) is a bad thing.

My apologies, Adam. I misread your post.

I'm so used to seeing people complain about high action that my mind obviously saw what it expected to. My mistake entirely.

I'm still envious though!

I bought a Koaloha concert used and love it, but I do find the action lower than I'd like. It seems to also affect string tension, making them looser than I'm used to. I've got Avila nyglut on which sound great, but like I said, feel too 'springy' for my feel. Does anyone know if different brands have different tension feels, or is that an action issue. Or am I just used to my tenors? I have to say, I love the koaloha and I'm now in the market for a tenor.

Top Bottom