Makala Dolphin soprano

nobby8126

Reaction score
Just brought one of these as my first uke. Pretty impressed by the tone and tuning and it makes me smile whilst playing. I really cant fault it for a cheap instrument. It has bags of charm making me fall in love already.

has anyone else have any experiences with them?

Makala dolphins at school

I teach elementary school music in Georgia and recently bought 15 makala dolphin ukes in various colors for my classroom. I've been really happy with them. They stay in tune, the fret intonation is good, and the sound is better than you'd expect for an instrument in this price range. They are somewhat variable in sound, but a set of good strings makes any of them sound good.

I was once in brief possession of several of the dolphins, set up and Aquillafied by MGM. I was very impressed. You really can't beat 'em for the price.

(That was back when they were all wood. I hear that the newer plastic-body ones are just as good though.)

JJ

My two-year old plays a Dolphin. I don't like the strings too much (GHS methinks? - they're black and a bit dull). But the ukulele itself is great. And is thus far taking the abuse my two-year old tends to dish out on anything in his vicinity. I even got him to play a C the other day. Mostly he likes to strum, and doesn't care much about the frets. I think he'll be up for Elephant Town any day now...

Top Bottom