Stuck between woods

Skitzic

Reaction score
Greetings all. I'm looking at buying my first ukulele and I'm stuck.

I think I've narrowed it down to 2.

Lanikai NKT Custom

Or

Lanikai SMT
EDIT: I just found this uke on ebay for 260. It was one used to photograph and they sprayed some kind of no-shine stuff on it that makes the finish spotty. Should I avoid this like the plauge?

There are no stores in a 4 hour radius that sell either of these. I could buy one and have it shipped to guitar center, but I don't see the point. If I have to buy it I may as well have it shipped to me since I'm stuck with it.

Is there a huge difference between the spalted mango and koa woods? I'm not entirely comfortable buying without seeing it, but I don't have any other options.

Thanks

Last edited:
It would be easier to recommend a retailer if we know what part of the country you're in. You can also check the 'Ukulele Stores Listing.

I'm in PA west of Philly. I already checked the store listing on the site. The one in Jersey is only about 2 hours away, but from their website, they don't have what I'm looking for.

I found the NKT on ebay for 300 shipped with hard case, I'm leaning towards that one right now because it comes with the case, and if I hate it I may be able to get most of my money back...

I looked, and Amazon does stock both ukes that I'm looking at. I'll keep them in mind when / if I decide to go through with it.

That ebay NKT is tempting though...

BAH! Decisions.

Top Bottom