Electric set up

eyeball

Reaction score
Hi all,
Does anyone know of a good electric uke or how best to set up an acoustic with a pick up (that doesn't involve drilling holes etc.)

I really fancy trying to get a bit of distortion going for some of the rockier songs that I play but I haven't got a clue how to get started so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks for the info TreF, managed to get hold of a stick on pickup for twenty quid (bargain IMHO) this weekend but frustratingly haven't had chance to try it yet. Hopefully I'll be able to give it a go tonight. Next stop, distortion pedal!!

eh bro. There are many ukes you can get with a pickup already built in. Most of mine you can plug in. But it sounds for what you want you may wunna look at a Applause UAE-148. Its a larger mainly electic uke that had controls. It kinda needs a strap. i luv it tho. i have a black on that i use for reggae only stuff.
hope this b helpful!
Kopa

Update us with a vid eyeball! I'd love to hear it in action

OK, so here's the latest. The stick on pick up is ok although it's prone to falling off at inopportune moments so I splashed out on a classical strap that I can thread the lead through therefore taking the weight off the pickup and letting it stick onto the uke a lot better. While I was buying the strap I thought what the heck and got myself a Boss distortion peddle as well :)

So, after playing about for a while I can get a pretty good rock sound going on although feedback is a problem at the moment so I'm trying to find something that will block the sound hole easily, I believe that the top of a gravy carton works pretty well!! (any suggestions gratefully received!)

I'm going to try to sort out a vid to post if I can, a) get the time together to get all the equipment set up! and b) not embarrass myself with my playing!

Something you might try to combat the feedback is to fill the body of the uke with socks or washcloths or a t-shirt. That will reduce the vibration, but no so much that the pick-up won't, well, "pick up." It'll sound kind of dead acoustic, but you can turn up the overdrive a little higher and rock on.

Top Bottom