Acoustic Palm-Muting.

CitizenSnips

Reaction score
I recently picked up an Acoustic guitar from the local Guitar Center and I'm trying to learn Colin Hay's Overkill. Just about the whole song requires Palm-Muting and thats where my problems start.

Everytime I try to palm mute it just either doesn't sound right or it sounds so low that it can barely be heard. How are you supposed to palm-mute effectivily?

Last edited:
I recently picked up an Acoustic guitar from the local Guitar Center and I'm trying to learn Colin Hay's Overkill. Just about the whole song requires Palm-Muting and thats where my problems start.

Everytime I try to palm mute it just either doesn't sound right or it sounds so low that it can barely be heard. How are you supposed to palm-mute effectivily?

Try this link.

http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aa062401b.htm

If you still want to hear the note, but just in palm-muted version, try moving the part of your hand that touches the strings closer to the saddle of your guitar. The farther away from the saddle, the more "clicky" it gets. Try playing around with your right hand position(on the saddle, right in front of it, etc etc). The first song I ever learned on guitar was Everlong using a mini acoustic guitar with nylon strings and a nickel as my pick, so I figured the technique to palm muting pretty quickly.

i remember the first time i learned palm muting, it felt very awkward. but after u get a hang of it, its almost like breathing. just rest the side of your hand on the strings then just strum (itll sound louder when u use a pick). if u dont hear it so well, its perfectly fine. it justs takes time a practice to get it going and sounding right. it was just like learning how to chunk =P good luck

Palm muting is a widely used term to describe the techniques used to damp vibration vibration.Palm chain diminishes when you apply pressure.I think it's good.The power should feel easier to play when you have played very on acoustics.

If ever there was a good reason to nail palm muting on acoustic guitar, 'Overkill' is it. Great song. :music:

Top Bottom