Ohana SK-21?

grubblybubbly

Reaction score
i am going to buy a second uke, and have been looking at the Ohana SK-21. does anyone have these? i can't find reviews on the web anywhere.

thanks

i am going to buy a second uke, and have been looking at the Ohana SK-21. does anyone have these? i can't find reviews on the web anywhere.

thanks

I did this review before I worked for Ohana. A lot of people on UU own these sopraninos now.

I picked one up from ukerepublic about a month ago. It's a lot of fun and great to travel with.

Mitch

thanks

I LOVE mine and have it tuned to D. Bought at Elderly, but UkeRepublic has and I think MGM as well.

Ken's pretty much the reason my checking account just got smaller -- I recently purchased one from MGM, and it just about made my life.

I have yet to put it down (my roommate yells at me for playing it all the time now instead of doing productive things, like going to class, but whatever), and it's pretty much because it's such a rich instrument (and sorta challenging) for its size. Best purchase I've ever made (and that's not even a hyperbole, I swear).

I love mine. I recommend putting some concert strings on it if you want to keep it tuned to C... I think tenor strings would be even more tension, but it would sound funky. I like Aquila strings quite a bit, just not on that uke.

I had Worth CM's on mine for a long time, but just changed them on a whim to Hilos. And I like the Hilos pretty well. It sounds very much like a small ukulele should sound, which is never a bad thing.

wow, this looks like a great uke! i don't think MGM has it right now, but they have it for $125 at elderly instruments. thanks everybody for the feedback:cool:

... I like Aquila strings quite a bit, just not on that uke.

I had Worth CM's on mine for a long time, but just changed them on a whim to Hilos. And I like the Hilos pretty well.

I'm glad it wasn't just me! :p

Got my sopranino on Saturday and loved the sound of the Aquilas in the shop.

Come Sunday I was feeling rather different and just had to change the strings and chose Worth CMs. :D

And thanks for the info about trying concert strings - shall definitely do that once I've bought some. Any recommendations as to which ones?

Haha, I was just watching kens review and spotted this gem:

cienanosdesoledad (3 weeks ago)
Your Ohana reviews are always positive. Are they that good?

KenMiddletonUkulele (3 weeks ago
Yes,they are. I tend not to review ukes I don't like.

I thought I read somewhere that sopranino ukes are tuned to DGBE, an octave above baritone tuning (but re-entrant), such as the Kala Pocket Uke. Anyone tried tuning one of these SK-21s that high?

What is the scale length? Do folks find the fretboard cramped?

Haha, I was just watching kens review and spotted this gem:

cienanosdesoledad (3 weeks ago)
Your Ohana reviews are always positive. Are they that good?

KenMiddletonUkulele (3 weeks ago
Yes,they are. I tend not to review ukes I don't like.

Haha. Rememeber though, I didn't work for Ohana when I made that review. I owned 4 Ohanas before I started working for the company. The first instrument I bought was probably my TK-35G. I still use it more often than any other uke. It is on the table beside me as I write this.

No, I don't review ukes that I don't like. There are plenty of them. It just seems rather negative to do that.

I shall be reviewing two interesting ukes in the near future: a high-end Kiwaya and a new Kanile'a. Should be interesting.

I thought I read somewhere that sopranino ukes are tuned to DGBE, an octave above baritone tuning (but re-entrant), such as the Kala Pocket Uke. Anyone tried tuning one of these SK-21s that high?

What is the scale length? Do folks find the fretboard cramped?

Don't tune it to dGBE unless you change the strings to thinner ones. It is too tight for Aquila strings. My suggestion is D tuning (aDF#B) or maybe a little higher.

Hi,
I have an Ohana SK21 and I love it.
I decided against Aquila strings in favour of Worth strings,having a preference for Low G
tuning. I use a wound clasical guitar D string as a Low G. It works for me and I manage to get a lot of sound out of beautifully crafted little instrument.
I also have a Kala travel soprano strung with Aquilas love them both for different reasons.

I find Ken'sreviews well balanced. He doesn't hesitate, for example, to talk about a finish flaw if he sees one. My 2 cents.

As for SK21 strings, I now have worth browns on it and LOVE the sound.

I have Ko'olau mahanas on mine and I like them a lot.

My SK21 Sopranino 's bridge fell off. :~(
Luckily superglue did its job good enough and I fixed it myself.

Top Bottom