Hey there guys! I need help.

johnstewartishot

Reaction score
I'm quite new to this, and my son wants an ukulele, but I don't what one I should get! Is there one that's good for beginners? My son is 13. I don't want to spend anything over $100 because gas is very pricey these days, and I need money.

Thanks.

hmm, you have to start with what size he is comfortable using.

I started about a month ago and I got a LaniKai LU-21 soprano (for $49) and I've heard it's a good beginner uke. Hope it helps somewhat. but I'm sure someone else has better and more input on this. Good luck on finding the right one for him! :)

hmm, you have to start with what size he is comfortable using.

I started about a month ago and I got a LaniKai LU-21 soprano (for $49) and I've heard it's a good beginner uke. Hope it helps somewhat. but I'm sure someone else has better and more input on this. Good luck on finding the right one for him! :)

Thank you very much for the reply. Where can I go about finding this?

My first was a Kala KA-S from MusicGuyMic on ebay-- he usually has 'em bundled with a case, a tuner, and a ukulele book or two for around a hundred bucks. It's the best package for a beginner you can come across, in my book.

Plus, Mike makes sure every instrument is properly set up and free of defects, which is more than you can say for most dealers. Just the setup and the upgraded strings make the package deal a STEAL.

Thank you very much for the reply. Where can I go about finding this?

I got mine from Samedaymusic: http://musical-instruments.pricegrabber.com/ukuleles/m/7925232/

but it's "on order" now.. :\

I got it from them because it was free shipping haha

but they also have it here:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--LNKLU21?em=2e6feb0c86d438f3b93454d90ddb3068

On musiciansfriend.com (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lanikai-LU21-Standard-Ukulele?sku=512519) it is on backorder too

Hope this kinda helps too. :)

I'm in the same boat as you. I just saw an 'ukulele made out of koa venner concert 'ukulele on sale at Costco for $97.99 and also it is a complete set which comes with a gig bag, extra strings, and an instructional book to teach you how to tune the 'ukulele as well as how to play it. It is a great deal because I am looking for an 'ukulele under $100 too.

Alana :)

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat as you. I just saw an 'ukulele made out of koa on sale at Costco for $97.99 because I am looking for an 'ukulele under $100.

Alana :)

Just FYI-- if it doesn't say "solid koa," it's not *made of* koa. It's got a laminate surface that's koa on top of cheaper wood. And honestly, koa's pretty rare and expensive, so there's a decent chance that if a bulk place like Costco has it, it might not actually be koa laminate, but some other type of acacia...

Not trying to dissuade you here, I know some people hate laminate ukes and guitars and the like, but I've honestly heard some with pretty darn good sound. The way it's made matters a lot, the manufacturer's quality standards, etc.

But it's not, at that price, "made of koa," strictly speaking.

I would recommend you stay with either a LaniKai, or a Kala. These two tend to put out a uke that consitantly the same, you know you will gwt a decent uke for the price, I started with a Hilo and would not recommend them to anyone, and have recently replaced the string and did abit of sand on frets and such to get it playing, but I still have a lot of buzzing in the frets.

I just got a Kala KA-TTWR and for the price I cant believe how much better it plays and sounds than the Hilo.

You also have to think about size: I perfer concert and tenor. Good luck and I am sure he will love what ever one you get him.

If you and your son are decent at following directions, I recommend that you order a DIY soprano uke kit & build it together. You can find several such kits online for anywhere from US $29.00 - $89.00. Toughest part is getting the bridge positioned correctly, but at least two sources offer a kit either with the bridge footprint marked or with temporary screw holes pre-drilled in the sound board.
If you go that route, definitely buy a good set of strings because the ones that come with most kits are lousy. I really enjoy my “kit” uke and find it very satisfying that it sounds as good as it does.
One final word of caution- Unless you have a well-stocked workshop, don’t order a kit unless it includes clamps and tension bands.
Best to you and your son!

I see this is a pretty old thread. The kid is probably getting close to thirty by now — wonder if he got hooked on the ukulele. Maybe he’s even a UU member!
Ha! You’re correct, Patty. Noob gaffe on my part that I neglected to notice the posting date when replying. D’oh! (Slapping my forehead)

Ha! You’re correct, Patty. Noob gaffe on my part that I neglected to notice the posting date when replying. D’oh! (Slapping my forehead)
I’ve almost done this myself, MANY times! Then I realize that all the others who’ve replied, plus the OP, are unfamiliar avatars, and finally I see the date,

Edit: THERE! I just did it in another thread, replying to a post that was 2 years old.

Last edited:
I've done it too. So, no worries.

Top Bottom