Winter Olympics!

bonden

Reaction score
Anyone excited? I am!

I guess Norway has a shot at a couple of gold medals this year. The 2006 winter olympics was a disaster for us, with only two gold medals in Men's Super-G and Normal Hill Skijumping.

I'm following skijumping with a keen eye, but the austrians will get all the medals I guess. Would be nice to snatch one gold from them though.

So, what country are you from, do you believe you will get any medals and what events are you most excited about?

I live just south of the border from Vancouver, BC... well, an hour's drive from Vancouver maybe (if the border crossing is clear). There is a huge fleet of buses in the overflow parking lot at the mall. Not sure if those are shuttles or team buses. Might be team buses.

But there is no way that I could possibly afford to go to any events. :( I'll be watching on TV and rooting for the US. Watching Apolo Anton Ohno on short-track speed skating. I also like the luge and skeleton and the long ski jump.

I'm only excited because the opening day, the 12th, is my bday. It will also give me something extra to watch on tv.

I realy look forward to it!!
Hopefully we can get 25 medals of more, and four or five gold ones :D

I really like to watch the Winter Olympics. I'm from the U.S. so we for sure will win some medals. Lindsay Vonn is originally from my city so lots of people were excited but it seems she may not be skiing this year due to an injury. Too bad. I like the luge and bob sleigh best.

I love the Winter Olympics. My favourite events are the figure skating competitions but I enjoy watching the skiing and snowboarding too. We're probably not in with a chance of many medals apart from perhaps the curling.

I should think that was the point. Norwegian commentators speculated on that effect before the match. I'm just satisfied that we didn't lose more and think that the norwegian team played a decent match.

Love the winter olympics! Shaun White was in a league of his own last night in the halfpipe. Unreal.

Oh yeah! That Big Mc twist thing, or whatever he called it... amazing! I didn't get to watch it until this morning online though. I live an hour away from Vancouver, and still the NBC feed is on a 3 hour delay or more! Crazy! The womens downhill was pretty wild too. A lot of crashes.

I am getting pretty dissapointed in the US Curling teams. I am pretty sure they are both 0-2. The men last night had it in the bag in the 10th end, blew that. Then had the almost same shot for the win in the extra 11th end, blew that too. No where to go but up right???

It all looks like marketing products to me. I'm with Bryant Gumbal on the Winter Olympics in general... Here's his infamous rant back in '06. My wife on the other hand, is on her way to Vancouver as I type. She loves the stuff.

While I appreciate the athleticism, I can’t get past the manufactured and un-authentic Disney feel. I’d rather watch the folks play pick-up b-ball at my local park than watch these spoiled rich kids try to get endorsement deals for three weeks. For me, it'll be video games until the marketing onslaught mercifully ends.

Winter Olympics make me grumpy.

Lindsay Vonn is originally from my city so lots of people were excited but it seems she may not be skiing this year due to an injury. Too bad. I like the luge ... best.

Boy, things have changed since I wrote that last week. Lindsay Vonn did indeed ski last night and we are proud to say she won the GOLD medal!!! I was invited to a Rotary luncheon on Monday and the guest speakers were Mrs. Stone and her daughter Jessica. Mrs. Stone and her husband started Buck Hill in Burnsville in 1958. That's where Lindsay got her start in skiing. It was amazing to learn how many skiers from around the world come to little Buck Hill to train. It's the head trainer that's so good we learned. Anyway -- it was THRILLING to watch her ski after all she's gone through.

As for luge being my favorite -- Not so much any more. The crash was way too sad and has soured me on the sport. Dang! It was always so fun to watch.

Shawn White was absolutely incredible. The run AFTER he won the gold medal was unreal.

Just linking to a funny (if you're norwegian) article in the wall street journal about the norwegian performance in the vancouver olympics.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...mod=WSJ_newsreel_olympics#articleTabs=article
Vancouver, British Columbia -- By the end of these Olympic Games, the Norwegians will have pulled off what is, arguably, one of the finest performances in the modern history of sports.

The only problem is that nobody outside Norway seems to take them seriously.
And don't forget about the curling teams pants!

I had really only been watching the ladies figure skating. As someone who is 1/4 Korean, I love Kim Yu-Na, and wanted her to take the gold, but now how can I root for anyone but Joannie Rochette? That poor girl, I felt so bad for her. How tough to go out there and perform only two days after her beloved mother passed away. I cried like a baby watching her routine. I can't ice skate a routine in the Olympics for my Mom, but I did decide to spend this morning baking her favorite carrot pineapple bread for her.
http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/assetid=c7605327-2d06-47f3-996a-22ae5bc51bbf.html

Hey Wicked, That was too much! I hate when dust gets in my eyes. Thanks for sharing. I hadn't seen that performance until just now. How touching.

I had really only been watching the ladies figure skating. As someone who is 1/4 Korean, I love Kim Yu-Na, and wanted her to take the gold....

Hee! Cool! Funny though... I really like short track skating. As someone who is all Korean... born in Korea, I was still rooting for Apolo Ohno and against South Korea! LOL! (don't get me wrong... I'm not anti-Korean) ;)

Top Bottom