Help me with lyrics?

Uke.

Reaction score
I have no problem coming up with chord sequences and melodies, I have quite a few almost complete songs I've written in sibelius, and a few more I've written at home... but when it comes to lyrics I'm stuck. The song I'm writing at the moment is going to be based around the progressions:

Chorus:
Dm, C, Am, Bb

Verse:

C, Em, Dm.... then possibly Am, not sure. Maybe just two measures of Dm.

It's about a girl (aren't they all :rolleyes:) who is incredible, and she's going to a different college next year. I want the song to be about her, and about change and people leaving.

For some random information about her, she's stunning, and has an amazing voice. Maybe they could be incorporated.

Any ideas... little lines or anything you think of will be a massive help!

Thanks!

Last edited:
When you're writing for someone, it's hard for people to really help you without knowing them. Y'know? But if she's incredible enough to write a song for, tell her that in your song (and add inside jokes. those are always the best). maybe a rhyme scheme and rhythm pattern. What I'll do sometimes is write the lyrics to a beat or rhythm, and then form the melody around that. Just a thought.
This can also help you: http://muse.fawm.org/lyricloud
you just type in a word, and it puts up words that people kinda relate to it I guess? idk. But it helps me. If you need little lines to put in it, I have two threads below this one with songs I've written (they're both love songs ( I know that's not quite what you're looking for, but they're on the friend-y side of love if you know what I mean) , the newer one more what you're looking for probably?) The lyrics are written there I believe, so that can serve as another source in information.

Good luck, and please post the results here if the song isn't something you'd mind sharing!!! I'm sure we'd all love to here it!!! :DDD

Chorus:
Dm, C, Am, B

Hmmm, I think a Bb sounds better IMHO, with a Bbm to work back towards the following chorus. But that's just me...

Verse:

C, Em, Dm.... then possibly Am, not sure. Maybe just two measures of Dm.

I like the Am. Have you thought of some chords for a bridge?

It's about a girl (aren't they all :rolleyes:) who is incredible, and she's going to a different college next year. I want the song to be about her, and about change and people leaving.

For some random information about her, she's stunning, and has an amazing voice. Maybe they could be incorporated.

Any ideas... little lines or anything you think of will be a massive help!

Thanks!

Need more info about her please. Physical description, some hobby or strength of hers and what your current relationship is (boyfriend/girlfriend, crush, friend zone?) and how soppy.. I mean... intimate do you want the lyrics to be? This would probably weigh heavily on the first verse e.g.

Strumming pattern is down down up up down. Think "Coldplay voice"

Code:
C       Em         Dm       Am
Hair so golden, and eyes of blue
C         Em        Dm         Am
Something something, something you
C       Em       Dm       Am
Come on baby, now tell me true
C       Em          Dm       Am
something something, feel it too

Again the words that fill the gaps really need more context from you :)

I was thinking wistful thoughts when I thought of a chorus, it's probably not what you're after, but I offer it anyway:

Code:
Dm     C            Am
I will miss you with, 
       Bb
all my heart
Dm     C            Am
Something something about,
       Bb   Bbm
being apart

We should never be apart. It's a crime to be apart. Obviously swap 'you' with 'her' if you're not addressing her directly.

And here's a formula:

Verse 1: about her and your relationship
Chorus
Verse 2: about change
Chorus
Bridge
Verse 3: People leaving, perhaps end this one with a statement about your feelings (e.g. All I know is, that I love you)
Chorus
Candle-lit heavy petting and Barry White/Marvin Gaye background music (if you play your cards right ;) )

Last edited:
Wow, you guys are awesome! The help is much appreciated, I'll keep working on it tonight.

More information about her:
She has green eyes, long curly bronzeish hair, she's funny, smart, an amazing singer, and we have a lot of inside jokes that I'll include in the lyrics somewhere.

I'll post updates!

EDIT: Oh, and she's single, and I want the song to be possibly humorous but also meaningful, I don't want the whole thing to be a joke. It shouldn't be tooooooo soppy, but it has to have a few sweet lines haha.

The chord sequence for the verse has been updated to:

Dm (x2) C (x2) Am F G, then either G7 or Am.... not sure.

when i write songs (usually also about a girl) i found that the site rhymezone dot com helps alot, i can always come up with one or twos lines its trying to get those to fit is the problem. basically you just type in the word you end one line with and it will give you a list seperated by number of syllables that rhymes with that word.

Random ideas; YMMV.

Are there any gifts one of you has given the other that are particularly meaningful?

Do you have any specific plans to keep up with each other? (I'm envisioning what a delightfully unexpected rhyme Skype would make.)

What would you see on a trip to her school that reminds you of/pales in comparison to her (or what would she see on that trip that will remind her of/pale in comparison to you)?

Are there any bad (but amusing) habits one of you will just have to find a replacement for that you can describe. [I suspect, though, that you'd want to be careful with this one.]

Anyhow, take what's useful and ignore the rest. (I say that because, obviously, you needed my permission. <g>)

Top Bottom