anyone know any basic chord progressions?

masoncade

Reaction score
im looking for some basic chord progressions to use, other than the c-f-am kinda stuff. ANY feedback is very helpful!
thanks!

If you take C Am F G you can switch the chords around in various configurations, like C Am G F for instance, or you can switch it to a different key like G Em C D. I also like Am G F E or, Em D C B.

John Rockwell wrote a pretty helpful guide on songwriting and it has several popular chord progressions in it. Here's a link. For this, specifically look at page four.

For some reason, it looks like the "Download PDF" link only works from the first page. You'll figure it out.

Hope that helps,
Jason

This website opened my eyes quite a bit:
http://chordmaps.com/

The concept of building any chord arrangement using the maps is kind of fun and can be a good way of wasting an afternoon. Also, remember that if you learn the Nashville Numbers system (I, ii, iii, IV, V, vi, vii, etc) then you can transpose easily and play any song in any key.

~DB

If you take the major scale (Let's use Key of C for example - C, D, E, F, G, A, B, C and added a 3rd and a fifth above each note you would have the chords that belong to that key C major, D minor, E minor, F major, G major, A minor, B diminished, and C major again. Now give the scale the roman numerals so that you can use any key. I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII and VIII = I. Seven different chords in each key (not counting key changes or secondary dominants - another whole topic) OK now these chords need to follow a pattern or order. The I chord can go to any other chord but once there, there is a specific formula to return to I. Furthest out is III, from there you have to go to VI then you have a choice of II or IV. Next step is V or VII then back to one. You don't have to go to III. I could go to VI then II then V then I. There are lots of other rules that can enhance the progression but this will give you a basic working of chords.

Music is made up of patterns.Every song is a music manager, and in turn all the music consists of a central chords.Once,the key of the song is identified, the player can correctly identify the rope and rope that the key to play in various agreements orders.You can play the entire scale are the same as scale.Just pedal point notes play a larger scale,with more than one of these agreements and look great.

Top Bottom