Added humbucker to my resonator

UkeNukem

Reaction score
I finally got this done. Been planning it for sometime and got my friends at the "Amp Shop and Music Parlor" in West Palm Beach, Fl to do it right instead of doing a hack job myself. Sounds very clean and acoustic through the pickup (6.8 k) and it was much cheaper than buying a A/E new guitar.

New%20Pickup%201.jpg

New%20Pickup%202.jpg

New%20Pickup%203.jpg

The pickup is a no brand from a place called Guitar Parts Resource (guitarpartsresource.com) where I also got the two rosewood knobs. I let the guitar tech choose the pots as I did not know how thick the top of the guitar is. I had already changed the strings to nickel but went fairly light (9-46).

I also had them add a neck strap button, the tied-off-at-the-nut rig was driving me crazy.

Looks like the installation was done very nicely. A no-name pickup? That could be scary... not knowing how it would respond or sound. Good thing it turned out okay for you. Having a tone control is good to help offer some different tonalities (backing off treble, etc.) to your overall sound.

Do you play any slide, or employ the usual guitar playing style? If you play slide, what do you use for a bottleneck? Glass, brass, metal (aluminum)? Just curious...

Enjoy your newly modified axe! :)

Thanks! No it's not set up for slide, I do not play slide right now. I have gotten used to low actions. Using a humbucker does not amplifiy the resonator aspect of the guitar, it just sounds like an acoustic with a neck humbucker. The low output of the pickup means the sound will be clean.

I play a wide variety of styles but I do like jazzy stuff most.

Well when you get it rigged I want to definitly hear it. You want to get rich??? Go to a concert and let the band try out your customed guitar, and if they like it, sell it to them. Make sure you sell for a little more than what you put in it and make more than just one so you can know what all you put in it. Before long you'll have your own factory.

Top Bottom