Ohana "Super Concert" CK35-L

groucho26

Reaction score
I'm new to UU here, but just bought a new Ohana CK35-L from Grizzly music on Ebay and wanted to give a quick review:

Features
What year was it made? Where was is made? (Hawaii, Japan, China etc...) New, 2010? China
How many frets? 19
Solid-Top? Laminated top? Solid mahogany top, back, sides
Any pickups or electronics? No
Body and neck woods? ( Koa, Plywood, etc...) mahogany neck, rosewood fingerboard
Finish (Satin, transparent, quilted top, flamed top, etc...) satin
Body style (Soprano, Tenor, Concert, Cutaway, etc...) Concert
Bridge style ( String-thru body, stop tailpiece, etc...) typical tie-on
Tuners (Locking? Non-locking? brand of tuners - Sperzel, Gotoh, Grover, Schaller, etc...) Gotoh type gear
Neck/Scale (Fat, Thin, Jumbo Frets, Rosewood, Maple, etc...) Slim (all uke necks seem slim to me as a guitar player), nice size frets, very playable
Any included accessories? (Case, gig bag, strap, cable, tools, humidifier, etc...) A elec metronome came with it

Sound
How does it suit your music style (and what is that style)? This is my first decent uke, and I wanted solid wood if at all possible. The sound to me is pretty mellow and rich, not brash or bright. I was a bit afraid that a tenor uke would seem too much like a guitar to me (I have two dreadnoughts and a parlor guitar "O-size"), so I decided on the concert size body with the tenor neck - seems more like a uke to me with the smaller body. I have no style yet, but the sound of this Ohana seems pretty versatile - plucked firmly the tone comes out nicely.
What amps and effects are you using it with? Nothing yet, but I'm thinking of some U2 delay...
Is it noisy? On what settings?
Rich/Full sound? Bright sound? Rich, more full. Aquila strings as original equip.

Action, Fit & Finish
How well was the ukulele set-up at the factory? (How was the action?) I think the setup on this uke is nearly perfect; low enough for easy play but no buzzing except on the C string when played quite hard.
Properly bookmatched top? Nice grain on the top, but the back is spectacular with some exotic grain to it; almost makes me think it's not solid. Nice rosewood binding.
Properly routed bridge? Yes, nicely done
Did the ukulele contain any flaws? (misaligned bracing, poorly filed fretwire, finish flaws, poor quality wood, rusted or oxidized hardware, loose tuning pegs, poorly cut nut, poorly fit saddle, noisy pickup selector, loose controls, etc...) Only flaw is on the headstock; there is some roughness, marks near the edge where the binding was not installed properly; just a minor visual flaw, and not a deal killer by any means. Otherwise the finish, smoothness are perfect.

Reliability/Durability
Will this ukulele withstand live playing? I hope so as I will play it in my church.
Does the hardware seem like it will last? Tuners seem pretty good, and do not slip.
Is the finish good enough to last, or does it seem thin and easy to wear off with lots of playing? Don't know yet.
Can you depend on it? I would say yes, time will tell.

Overall Rating
How long have you been playing?
What other gear do you own? Old Gibson Heritage and new Taylor DN4 acoustics, Tanglewood TW73 parlor guitar, some electrics.
Is there something you wish you had asked before buying this ukulele?
If it were stolen or lost, would you buy it again or get something else? Probably get it again.
What do you love about it? Mahogany grain, rich sound.
What do you hate?
What is your favorite feature? Longer neck, easier to play for a guitar player.
Did you compare it to other ukuleles? Which ones? Not live, except for a soprano I can't play very well.
Why did you choose this one?
Anything you wish it had? Elec pickup
Anything else you'd like to share?

Attachments

• IMG_6940..jpg
    IMG_6940..jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_6949..jpg
    IMG_6949..jpg
    97 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_6945..jpg
    IMG_6945..jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_6948..jpg
    IMG_6948..jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_6938..jpg
    IMG_6938..jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 62
Wow! The back is stunning. I have never seen one as pretty as that. And it is definateley solid.

I am glad you are pleased with it.

This uke model has a concert sized body with tenor sized neck/fingerboard!
Thanks for review!

Top Bottom