Kala KA-CE Review

ghwtfan

Reaction score
Features: 9
What year was it made? I'm thinking 2010? it's brand new
Where was is made? Made in China LOL
How many frets? 18 frets
Solid-Top? Laminated top? Solid top.
Any pickups or electronics? Got a shadow pickup pre-installed.
Body and neck woods? ( Koa, Plywood, etc...): Body I'm thinking Mahogany I'm not sure what the neck is but I thnk it's rosewood.
Finish(Satin, transparent, quilted top, flamed top, etc...): Satin top
Body style (Soprano, Tenor, Concert, Cutaway, etc...): Concert
Bridge style ( String-thru body, stop tailpiece, etc...) Haha not sure what you mean
Tuners (Locking? Non-locking? brand of tuners - Sperzel, Gotoh, Grover, Schaller, etc...) It's stock tuners that came with it.
Neck/Scale (Fat, Thin, Jumbo Frets, Rosewood, Maple, etc...) Neck:for me it feels thin. frets are medium spaced, rosewood.
Any included accessories? (Case, gig bag, strap, cable, tools, humidifier, etc... Nope, Only the uke itself.

Well hello UU this is my first review and my 2nd uke so bear with me here. I'm pretty much new here in UU and I must say I like the community, very helpful. Anyways, after waiting for the fedex delivery dude for hours... I finally got my new Kala KA-CE /w a pickup. I bought this uke from a store called "Mass Street Music" was about to buy from MGM but for some reason didn't haha. Well after I opened the package there she lay in her box. A kala, pre-setup,and aquila strings pre-installed. with the KALA-KA-CE tag and the aquila string tags hanging. Well as soon as I opened it, first thought that came to me was tuning it.

Sound: 9
How does it suit your music style (and what is that style)? I usually play chords but as of now I'm learning tabs. (While my ukulele gently weeps ftw) and I think this Uke fits my style very perfectly
What amps and effects are you using it with? I am still thinking on what amp to buy to go nicely with the pickup. Any ides?
Is it noisy? On what settings? Not noisy.
Rich/Full sound? Bright sound? Very rich,full, and bright sounds coming out of the uke. I'm thinking it sounds good because of the Aquila's slapped on it?
Likes and dislikes? I liked how the sounds came out disliked how sometimes i feel like the strings are too close together. I;m not sure but it's probably just me who thinks that. haha

Action, Fit & Finish
How well was the ukulele set-up at the factory? (How was the action?) Set-up well. I was about to buy from MGM as I heard good reviews about his customer service but I felt like trying something different haha. Well the store I bought it from (Mass Street Music) pretty much set up the uke very nicely. everything seems even and the pre-stringed the uke.
Properly bookmatched top? ; ???
Properly routed bridge?: ???????
Did the ukulele contain any flaws? (misaligned bracing, poorly filed fretwire, finish flaws, poor quality wood, rusted or oxidized hardware, loose tuning pegs, poorly cut nut, poorly fit saddle, noisy pickup selector, loose controls, etc...) Well when I first got my uke I remember hearing some weird sound coming out of the soundhole like something was in it. Well I tried to get it out and a piece of wood came out! (like a little smaller than a penny) I'm not sure where it came from but didn;t really affect the sound.

Reliability/Durability:10
Will this ukulele withstand live playing? i have been playing this uke non-stop, playing chords with fast strumming or finger-picking.
Does the hardware seem like it will last? The hardware seems pretty sturdy.
Is the finish good enough to last, or does it seem thin and easy to wear off with lots of playing?
Can you depend on it? the finish seems pretty nice. hard to wear off.
Would you use it on a gig without a backup?
I would probably bring an extra uke just in-case anyways. Not because I don't trust the uke but i don;t trust myself. haha!

Customer Support: 8
If you've dealt with the company, how helpful/friendly were they? They've been nice I called information on their ukes. Seemed very nice. Emailed me some information if order's processed or fedex picked it up or If it's on it's way.
Ever try and get it repaired? Nah, the uke seems perfect as it is.
Was it under warranty? Nope,
How long is the warranty

Overall Rating: 8
How long have you been playing? about 6 months? maybe a year haven't been keeping track.
What other gear do you own? I have a Lanikai LU21 standard? not sure as I let my cousin borrow it.
Is there something you wish you had asked before buying this ukulele? Nah, It's seems good enough.
If it were stolen or lost, would you buy it again or get something else? I would probbaly consider a KALA KA-SC or go with the mainlands if my budget allows.
What do you love about it? I really love the sound.
What do you hate? The strings seems pretty much close together.
What is your favorite feature? Nothing really, seems like a normal mahogany uke nothing special.
Did you compare it to other ukuleles? Which ones? Iwas comparing this to the Kala KA-C or Kala KA-SC .
Why did you choose this one? I like how it came with a pickup pre-installed so its amp ready and I have seen videos of how the sounds seems pretty good.
Anything you wish it had? A case.
Anything else you'd like to share? I have only been playing for a 6 months or more so i would appreciate some tips on playing or what to buy for my future ukes.

Well as a Filipino, I would show my pinoy pride here. Gonna be putting a filipino flag probably around the lower body area. and a Pinoy Sun and 3 stars at the back.

Attachments

• DSC_0481..jpg
    DSC_0481..jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC_0482..jpg
    DSC_0482..jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_0480..jpg
    DSC_0480..jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 33
I deleted your thread from the Ukulele Marketplace as there is no reason to post it there nor is there any reason to post twice.

Last edited:
Yeah, sorry about that accidentaly posted it in Marketplace. As i was looking through stuff there. Once again sorry, ><

Top Bottom