Exercise Tips

rayan

Ukulele Underground Staff
UU+
Reaction score
I'm different than most people in that if I don't exercise, I lose weight. In college I was a workout addict and was able to keep my weight up. Now I am back to skin and bones Rayan. I think I've lost around 20lbs in 3 years and it pisses me off.

Anyone know of any good exercises I can do at home to get back into shape? Fred Miu... looking in your direction for guidance...

HAHAH wow thanks rayan.

every night before you go to bed, do push-ups. start off with 20 a night for 3 days(try to do them non-stop), then 25. every 3 days go up an extra 5 push-ups. when you've reached 50 and you can do them non-stop, do them twice a day OR go to 70 a night. either or its a great work out.

another that goes with this, whenever you are watching TV or something and there is a commercial, stretch your body out, you shoulders, wrist, neck, quads, etc. also, you can do V-ups and/or sit-ups with you hands touching your ears or crossed your chest. it makes a good habit when there is commercials on.

i personally dont like weights, so when i was wrestling i got a resistance band that can hold my weight in resistance, i use it for cable flys, seated rows, etc. (im just getting lazy typing body parts)

jogging and powerwalking is good too. but run if you have lots of time to kill.

and i will also make a short film on getting some back muscles for you too if you want it. its basically laying on your belly and lifting your arms and head up, and also your legs.

for quads you can do wall sits and start off with minutes sits, then increase up to minute 30 or 2 minutes if its too easy.

thats all that i can think of right now, just IM me if you need more or i will post up. hopefully these are good enough for a few things you might want and could use. :D

Awesome. I stole my girlfriend's elastic bands from her Slim in 6 program and I've been using them.

I started working on this past weekend. I've been taking pictures daily so in a month we'll see if doing push ups and elastic band stuff is good enough to get back into shape.

oh if you really want to get im shape? do either gymnastics, or wrestling/ jiu jutsu classes, thatll get you in shape too. but thats if you have time and money.

or Fre dMiu can go to Ohau this summer and teach you some gymnastics for fun :)

hate me more, i weigh 5 pounds more than last year, AND i still have the same waist size as i did when i was 12. i am still a 28, some times 26.

LOL. It's only because laziness > hunger for me. Even if I am starving, if its going to take me too long to get food, I just don't go.

hahaha i like that mentality! although its bad, tsk tsk, dont do that. but ya, i think im underweight..... been trying to stay in shape by running yet still try to eat a small snack between meals but can't seem to keep myself doing it.

its cool fred that u don't like weights too! me neither, i prefer using body weight, so like push ups, pull ups, or resistance bands too. less space and easier to carry around or put away.

hahaha i like that mentality! although its bad, tsk tsk, dont do that. but ya, i think im underweight..... been trying to stay in shape by running yet still try to eat a small snack between meals but can't seem to keep myself doing it.

its cool fred that u don't like weights too! me neither, i prefer using body weight, so like push ups, pull ups, or resistance bands too. less space and easier to carry around or put away.

We should all try to get in shape this year. UU will be the home of buffed out ukulele players! lol

I'm different than most people in that if I don't exercise, I lose weight.
Odd situation. I doubt that you would lose muscle-mass that fast. Does your appetite improve when you work out?

FYI to other folks. muscle is heavier than fat. It's not unusual to gain weight as your muscle-mass is increased despite a reduction in fat. You will, of course, look leaner and better-defined.

For me, the best parts of my workout are squats, deadlifts and pull-ups. The first two put stress on the entire body and are supposedly the best for inducing overall muscle growth. The last one is one of the best upper-body routines. Of course, you should still balance your overall workout with other exercises that focus on the other muscles.

The only thing I don't like about deadlifts is when I have to do them with a regular bar. My body proportion is one of those that cause the bar to scrape against my shins when doing a proper lift. I need to use a deadlift cage ... and few gyms have those.

Shoots:D.. anyone know of any good muay thai gyms here in Honolulu?
Meh. Skip the muay thai and join a kendo dojo. You'll have fun whacking your opponents.

Here, you've got four dojos right in Honolulu! That's a better per-capita concentration that we have in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Last edited:
well i'm currently a 3rd year in college, but when i first began and for the first couple semesters i was 5'11" and 150 pounds. I had a really tone body, I stopped working out and gained 30 pounds in a year and a half. I'm now 180 and out of shape (still somewhat slim though), but 30 pounds in a year because of alcohol and fast food is amazingly too much :D

you guys know any forearm exercises other than the usual forearm curls? i have those squeeze things but it squeaks a lot lol

yes, get a wooden bar or PVC pipe and attach a string with the weight at the bottom, and you roll the rope up all the way slowly, hold it at the top for ten seconds with your arms fully extended, then do it slow going back down.

Odd situation. I doubt that you would lose muscle-mass that fast. Does your appetite improve when you work out?

FYI to other folks. muscle is heavier than fat. It's not unusual to gain weight as your muscle-mass is increased despite a reduction in fat. You will, of course, look leaner and better-defined.

For me, the best parts of my workout are squats, deadlifts and pull-ups. The first two put stress on the entire body and are supposedly the best for inducing overall muscle growth. The last one is one of the best upper-body routines. Of course, you should still balance your overall workout with other exercises that focus on the other muscles.

The only thing I don't like about deadlifts is when I have to do them with a regular bar. My body proportion is one of those that cause the bar to scrape against my shins when doing a proper lift. I need to use a deadlift cage ... and few gyms have those.

Meh. Skip the muay thai and join a kendo dojo. You'll have fun whacking your opponents.

Here, you've got four dojos right in Honolulu! That's a better per-capita concentration that we have in the San Francisco Bay Area.

ya i took kendo when i lived in hawaii. then lost time for it once i got to the mainland. i got up to a 3kyuu in 2 years. haha

yes, get a wooden bar or PVC pipe and attach a string with the weight at the bottom, and you roll the rope up all the way slowly, hold it at the top for ten seconds with your arms fully extended, then do it slow going back down.

does the pvc/wood act as the weight? and when you roll up the rope, is that like wrapping it around your hand using only that hand? lol, sounds interesting thats why

im sorry, i didnt explain that part.

you hold on to the bar (wood from a cane or something, etc/PVC pipe) your hands should be on both sides of the rope, which is in the middle of the bar.

if your still confused, through me an IM and ill webcam to you or ustream

my girlfriend got me a small weight bench and some dumbells for my bday! You guys will all be invited to the "Gun Show" in a couple of months. :p

Top Bottom