Ocarinas.

I love ocarinas! They just make me want to put on a pointed green hat and dance around Hyrule
(I hope people get that reference, or I'm going to sound very strange)

I've managed to keep myself talked out of one for a while, but now and again I really want one of the WarmStone Mountain Ocarinas.

I was given one years ago but never really got to grips with it. They do sound nice when played well but I never felt they fitted in with other instruments and couldn't be bothered to learn to play it. IMHO I think they are more of a solo instrument.

I'm not a fan they rank right up there with recorders and crying babies. there is one advantage to them tho, they break if you drop them. Each to thier own tho and if you enjoy them keep on a blowin

Last edited:
I'm not a fan they rank right up there with recorders and crying babies. there is one advantage to them tho, they break id you drop them. Each to thier own tho and if you enjoy them keep on a blowin

lol, agreed on that one.

... but like you say if you enjoy it great we weren't all born to ride the same track.

I was going to learn to play a mountain ocarina once upon a time but the cats didn't like it. Since the cats rule the house I had to quit. The cats do like the ukulele though, especially when I play "I'm looking over my dead dog Rover".

If you guys like ocarinas, you should check out the ocarina network. It is a forum like this one. I became interested in the uke because i saw many of my ocarinist buddies playing with uke as accompaniment in their videos.

I'm sure I made a post to this thread last night...must not have hit the submit button.

I got a Mountain ocarina in June to take with me to the North Georgia mountains so I'd have something musical with me while hiking around the woods. I learned the first couple simple songs on the accompanying tutorial that came with it but never played again after I returned to Florida. I got it back out yesterday and am really going to put some time into this instrument. My band plays a lot of Caribbean and folk music and the ocarina would fit in nicely with a couple of the Irish tunes we do. I'm sure I could find other places to squeeze it in as well.

I'm very happy with my Mountain ocarina...it's a well built and good sounding instrument.

I am a huge fan. I own 5. Go to the ocarina network's website for a sweet forum like this one.

Never really got into that whole "Hey Ocarina" dance thing. ;-)
--G

I love ocarinas, which are now enjoying a world wide resurgence like the uke. I have several Focalink ocarinas and they are great to take anywhere. IN fact a lot of ocarina players are also now playing ukes, so there is some crossover.

Some of you guys (and girls) have to have some respect for the ocarina. I own two, and I love the fact that they are portable, just like the uke, and ok, yes some break when dropped, but that's only clay ocarinas. I say about 80% of other ocarinas are made of a material that is hard to break when dropped. Ocarinas and Ukuleles go great together, and I love that Kissing88 tries his best to include the uke in his ocarina videos.

Also, if anyone is forgetting, Octalk!net (Created By David Ramos [Docjazz4]) is a great ocarina forum, although severely un-active, maybe 50 people on at a time. But still a great place!

Here's the link, http://octalk.net/

-Coleton

Last edited:
I'm flattered to be mentioned here *blush* I love ocarinas and ukuleles. I think they are great instruments with an affinity for each other.
The most resourceful ocarina forum is The Ocarina Network though :)

www.theocarinanetwork.com

It's not as big as Ukulele Underground, but it still is the most active international ocarina forum that covers a broad range of topics.

Strangely enough, there's a growing interest in ukuleles over at that forum (I had nothing to do with it, i swear! )

Last edited:
Top Bottom