What are the "Aquila" strings of the steel-stringed guitar world?

uke5417

Reaction score
Best strings, general consensus-wise. Just curious.
Doesn't even matter whether they actually are the best, just what are regarded to be the best.

I think Elixers are generally held in high regard. They're expensive, but they're coated and they tend to last longer.

Phosphur Bronze Elixirs, my favorite guitar strings! They last ALOT longer then other strings for me and until u hear a fresh set of them on a guitar you're missing out!!!

I only ever string my Strat with Ernie Ball 10's.

Different strings sound better to my ears on different acoustics. I know some people who will use elixirs on everything, but I don't like the sound of them to my ears. They're a bit to "clicky" to me. When they've been worn in for about a month they are a bit better, but I'd rather use a different string. I tend to lean towards a D'Addario phosphorus bronze as well.

Just put the D'Addario phosphor bronnze lights on an old circa late 50's Harmony built standard flat top, dang it sounds pretty nice. :) I used to use their silver plated silk core wound strings on my classicals. This guitar is killing me physically but it's fun in tiny stretches and makes the ukes feel like butter. It's really a tempter for my hubby. I think deep down he feels real men don't play uke. After it kicks his ass good for awhile, his old beater bari uke will feel soooo sweet. :)

I use D'Addario Phosphor Bronze on my two steel string. D'Addario something on my classical. I always forget the classical strings, so I just bring the old box.

I love Elixirs. I think the nanowebs sound better than their polywebs. Too me, the nanos don't have the same pop that high quality new strings (I love John Pearse strings for uncoated strings), but they sound like strings that have been played on for a few hours. The beauty is that they sound this way for months. :)

I use Martin Silk and Steel on my Art & Lutherie AMI parlor but John Pearse JP600L on my Yamaha FG-110 and FG-75.
Still looking for the "ultimate" cheap guitar strings.
HTH
Doug

For me, Martin Marquis on a couple of my guitars... Or the old brass wound (yes, brass - not the bronze) Martins if I can find them. To directly answer though - Elixers are my "knockaround" strings, so I think they would qualify as the "Aquilla" of steel strings for me. Durable, and make most guitars sound pretty good.

I should note that technically, Aquilla are the "Aquilla" of guitar strings - they make nylon and gut guitar strings, and damn fine ones.

Elixirs sound dead to me. Only virtue is longevity. I prefer John Pearse phosphors over any string i have ever tried.

I could have predicted this. There are a few companies that probably manufacture as many styles of guitar string all by themselves as there are styles of ukulele string in the whole world. There are still lots more guitarists than ukers and if you put 20 of 'em in a room, you'll get 60 opinions as to what strings they like.

The short answer is that there is no Nylgut equivalent in the guitar world, at least as popularity is concerned. If the number of ukulele players continues to grow, there won't be any Nylgut equivalent in the ukulele world. There'll be 10 strings that do what Nylguts do, and 2/3 of the players will swear by something else. And really, that'll probably be a good thing. ;)

-Pete

Top Bottom