Chord patterns for guitarlele

oteonghn

Reaction score
hi
I just bought a guitarlele - a tenor sized ukulele with 6 strings. It is like capo on the 5th fret of a normal guitar.

Question - do I use the same chord patterns on the guitarlele, which is tuned at ADGCEA, in the same manner as if it is tuned to EADGBE ?

THANKS

ong teong hoon

Yes. Same chords as a guitar.

Same chord shapes as a guitar. The actual chord tones will be 5 half steps higher. So your G shape is a C chord, your D shape is a G, etc...

mmmmm. Guitalele nice.

Don't forget to invest in quality strings.

mmmmm. Guitalele nice.

Don't forget to invest in quality strings.

What kind?

Classical guitar strings? If so, what kinds (and tension) have people found to work well with the GL-1?

Or--a tenor uke set (with low G) for the first four strings, and classical guitar strings for 5 and 6? If so, which tenor uke low g set, and which cg strings work well with them for 5 and 6?

Last edited:
You can take a guitar chart and change the chord names, the shapes are the same.
You can also buy a requinto chord chart.
I like Aquila classical strings on my D-VI.

I use Worth tenor strings on A,E,C, and D'addario Flamenco strings on G,D,A
with very happy results.

I just got a Guitalele and when I play the chords they sound different than when played on the guitar. So if the song uses G7, C, C7, F, D7 then I need to change the chords to D7, G, G7, C, A7 Am I correct in my thinking? I am a Uku player and decided to get a Guitalele instead of a regular guitar. I Love the new toy..Cheers

Love this little ukuguitar. (Thats what I call it sometimes!) But I still got standard strings on it and where I live it's impossible to get the propers one except for "Yamaha Concert Grand" sets which the guy at the shop told me should be perfect for it. Besides that all they had there too LOL!

Guitalele is not loved where I live and everyone told me only the PROFESSIONALS use it, wonder why? It's damn easy to play and if you got puny lil fingers its a lot easier. I'm a fat guy so I gotta work hard!

I love the Guitalele. Best musical instrument on the market for the money and it actually tunes up very nicely. Due to the short scale precise tuning is a must for this instrument. Buy a very good tuner!! Mine also has really nice intonation up the neck too! :cool:

Unbelievable deal for 100.00 bucks! Great for travelling or plunking around on the couch.

I still have the stock strings on mine but have some Savarez Corum Blue Package High Tension classical guitar strings waiting to go on. I'm too cheap to waste the stock strings so it will be a while.

Wm.

Last edited:
I'm wanting to get one. And after reading this post I want one even more. Just can't spend any money on Musical instruments right now. I'm looking to trade for one though. Got a ohana SK-70 I'd trade even for one. I'm working on being able to transpose in my head for if I play with other ukers or for when I get a GL-1. I'm playing a Baratone uke right now. And multiple guitars.

Top Bottom