PDA

View Full Version : Ukes and strings used by "Iz"

maikii
02-21-2011, 08:34 AM
Listening to "Bruddah Iz's" album "Facing Future", I am wondering what kind of ukes did he use on it, and what kind of strings?

Anyone know?

Thank you.

boxoldnn
02-21-2011, 08:41 AM
I'm not sure on the type of strings, but his most famous uke is the one he used for Over the Rainbow, which was a Martin Tenor uke with a low G string.

PedalFreak
02-21-2011, 10:05 AM
I've been looking into this for awhile now, just to satisfy my own curiosity. Here is what I've found.

Ukulele
50's Tenor Martin
Kawika Tenor
KC Young 5 String Tenor
'20's Kamaka Soprano
White Label Kamaka Tenor

As far as strings all of the tenors in photos/videos I've seen have been low G. With a Wound Low G. And the other strings I've seen a wound 3 string sometimes while other times it was plain. Some times they were a black string, other times they were clear.

So from the little research I've done, I'd guess IZ wasn't particular about his strings as long as they were a wound Low G set. By the looks of some photos he'd leave his strings on for some time, because some photos the Wound string(s) were obviously very old! :)

And another little piece of info, I had read that the Martin Tenor was IZ's favorite uke and it was with him when he was cremated.

haolejohn
02-21-2011, 10:19 AM
I'll make some phone calls:)

bueller
02-21-2011, 11:44 AM
Not that my post will add anything useful to the thread, but this is a pretty cool topic. I have never thought about what type of uke Iz used, but now that it was asked I found myself curious and want to search for some more info. I certainly hope more members can add to this thread.

PedalFreak
02-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Here (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?42687-IZ-s-ukulele-s)is a post I had a few days ago :)

I found other photos of him in this book:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/314VSTZHVDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/IZ-Voice-People-Rick-Carroll/dp/157306257X/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1298326199&sr=1-3)

bueller
02-21-2011, 02:33 PM
Now I want to buy that book. This thread has me very interested now.

Tudorp
02-21-2011, 02:50 PM
I love the guy's work and admired him. He is the one that inspired me to start playing the uke after a long hiatus from playing guitar due to my own morbid obesity and other health issues. He inspired me to pick up the uke and get back to music. If I could count how many pre-teen and teen kid's I have turned onto that guy's work that never heard of him. I wish he was here to share more with the new generation inspired by him.

bueller
02-22-2011, 05:42 AM
@Tudorp - that is fanstastic that he inspired you to take up the ukulele.
I just love when I listen to Hawaiian music I can always tell when Iz comes on. He just has a distinct sound that can bring out the best feelings.

PedalFreak
02-22-2011, 06:10 AM
After listening to IZ about 10-11 years ago I had to buy an ukulele. Bought a $20 Johnson soprano off ebay for $19. Was complete junk, but it got me started :)

To this day if I'm in a bad mood and Somewhere Over the Rainbow comes on, it almost instantly betters my mood :) His voice seems to heal at times :)

Just wish I would have found out about him while he was with us. I look forward to playing music with him one day :)

bueller
02-22-2011, 06:13 AM
When I started playing last year Somewhere Over the Rainbow was my "benchmark" song. The one I wanted to learn and be able to play at will - to me it's one of the model ukulele songs.