Need Help on how to develop quick strumming like Jake

peterng_20

Reaction score
I'm learning While My Guitar Gently weeps by ear from Jake and I'm struggling on the solo. How does he strum so quickly? Is it a technique or does it take time to develop so you muscles get used to fast movements? Also I learned his triplet strum and was wondering if he used that and strum really quick or did many normal quick strums? If there is a technique for the solo, I would like to learn it. Thank you.

The technique Jake uses focuses on twisting your wrist and trying to minimize any wasted motion. As soon as his strumming fingers pass the fretboard going down, he's coming back up and vice versa.

Maybe someone can make a video of their fast strum to help.

The technique Jake uses focuses on twisting your wrist and trying to minimize any wasted motion. As soon as his strumming fingers pass the fretboard going down, he's coming back up and vice versa.

haha like aldrine's matrix strum? oh but we have that in the strumming lesson

i tried to read the tabs to this song and do all the strumming etc... failed so hard, never going to try again.

peterng 20, I second what Rayan is telling ya. Note though, that Jake is using a combination of technquies, therefore, in your particular situation, I would simply work on getting the wrist movement down for now. Master that and you've got your speed. From there, starting learning the Jake's triple strum where he uses the middle/ring and thumb technique. There is a video on this on youtube somewhere. After that, add Jake's two finger thumb/index (as one) strum (as found on Aldrine's lesson with Jake). Now throw in some up strumming accent polyrhythms to spice up the mix and you're getting close. Have fun. If you never get there, remember it's all good, the technquies you learn trying will be reward enough. Speed is all in the wrist. It's just like opening a door...really fast!... thanks...e.....

Last edited:
Lol, practicing strumming with your wrists really does cause some pain. But I'm getting faster and I should keep working on that. Thanks for the advice.

Lol, practicing strumming with your wrists really does cause some pain. But I'm getting faster and I should keep working on that. Thanks for the advice.

Yup! just swivel your wrist. try not to tense up so much and just let it rip! Even when you are just relaxing in your chair. grab your uke and practice strumming really fast. After a few days you'll have it. easy!

Top Bottom