I'm torn.

mthurman52

Reaction score
I am a proud owner of a Guild Gad 25 acoustic guitar. Best guitar I have laid my hands on in a while. Guitar used to be my life! I played for hours each day...I would skip meals over it. But ever since I picked up a uke for the first time in March my Guild has sat collecting dust. I have picked up my guitar a handful of times and was amazed just at how great it sounded...but I still prefer to play my uke!! I am torn between two options. 1) selling my Guild to buy a "K" brand uke that I am completely obsessed with and 2) keeping what I have and fighting the urge! I am wondering if this uke obsession is temporary and that I may regret selling my guitar. I plan on buying the same guitar over the next year or so if I decide to sell. I cannot afford to own a "K" uke and my guitar at the moment...so one must go! HEEEELLLPPP!!!

Keep what you have and save your money for a nicer uke.
Never let a prized instr go that you know you love, for something you think you want, whatever it is.

thing is I can never spend the money I save...it all goes to college tuition! So I have to sell stuff in order to get stuff. :(

I am a proud owner of a Guild Gad 25 acoustic guitar. Best guitar I have laid my hands on in a while. Guitar used to be my life! I played for hours each day...I would skip meals over it. But ever since I picked up a uke for the first time in March my Guild has sat collecting dust. I have picked up my guitar a handful of times and was amazed just at how great it sounded...but I still prefer to play my uke!! I am torn between two options. 1) selling my Guild to buy a "K" brand uke that I am completely obsessed with and 2) keeping what I have and fighting the urge! I am wondering if this uke obsession is temporary and that I may regret selling my guitar. I plan on buying the same guitar over the next year or so if I decide to sell. I cannot afford to own a "K" uke and my guitar at the moment...so one must go! HEEEELLLPPP!!!

Save up...I wouldn't sell the Guild if you plan on buying it again. Just like ukes, not all guitars are the same. I sold my Taylor and had no regrets since I lost the love. You're not sure so play the uke for a couple of months and see what happens

Keep the guitar. Look for a used K brand on Craigslist. I wish I still had any of the three classicals I sold..

Definitely keep the guitar and save up.

I am not a guitar guy, but don't sell the guitar. Play the uke you have and if you are serious about a K brand, save up. It will be worth it.

I really haven't played guitar in a couple of years, due to an arm injury, but I can play the uke.

However, I have no plans to get rid of any of my guitars - I hope to be able to play them again in the future. The only one I wouldn't regret too much is the Yamaha Classical, but I didn't play that too often before the arm injury.

So I'm with everyone else: Keep the guild. DO NOT sell it.

Even if you're saving for College Tuition, get a gallon milk jug, and just toss your pocket change in every day. Label it "UKE FUND". It will be enough before you know it.

At work, when we get tips, I tell everyone to put the dollar coins and $2 bills in my envelope. Then, I set them aside.We get about $6-8 a week in dollar coins overall, but more on other weeks.

In the past 18 months, I've accumulated about 1/3 of what I think I need for a custom-built Uke. it adds up fast.

-Kurt

Keep the guitar! I had some of the same thoughts. I have a Weber Bitterroot mandolin that is ten years old (bought it new!) and sounds great. Thought about selling and getting another Koaloha and a cheap mando but know I would regret losing the weber.

keep the guitar! If you have to sell something to get the money for a K brand ukulele, sell something else.

Aloha Mthurman52,
I did the exact same thing...my guitars were collecting dust...so I sold them all and bought more ukes..it the progression I guess...do I regret it...now I do....but UAS got to me..
now I want a baby guitar..looking for a martin or taylor..ha ha by the way have you tried playing your uke after guitar...it always used too take me awhile to get adjusted to the change..ha ha ..

I am very familiar with the GAD25, sweet guitar. I have a Martin D-15 and don't plan to ever sell it. That guitar is absolutely perfect and plays wonderfully. It sounds fantastic and looks stunning. Your GAD25 is a solid Sapele, small-bodied git with mellow tone and is not easy to find these days (unless you buy online). I went shopping for one in Columbus, Ohio and couldn't find one anywhere. There are few GAD series guitars out there but owners are hooked on them. Keep it.

I am very familiar with the GAD25, sweet guitar. I have a Martin D-15 and don't plan to ever sell it. That guitar is absolutely perfect and plays wonderfully. It sounds fantastic and looks stunning. Your GAD25 is a solid Sapele, small-bodied git with mellow tone and is not easy to find these days (unless you buy online). I went shopping for one in Columbus, Ohio and couldn't find one anywhere. There are few GAD series guitars out there but owners are hooked on them. Keep it.
The GAD25's are solid mahogany. Sounds better IMHO! It is the same as the Martin D-15 construction wise except it has a gloss finish.

The GAD25's are solid mahogany. Sounds better IMHO! It is the same as the Martin D-15 construction wise except it has a gloss finish.

I know that the "specs" call for mahogany. What I was told was that the "striped" mahogany is actually Sapele, a very similar wood that many Asian manufacturers call "mahogany". The same goes for Martin's all solid mahogany "D-15" (which I own). The non-striped ones were actually mahogany (like mine) and the "striped" ones were actually Sapele.

Even if it is actually Sapele, the GAD25 and GAD20, for that matter, are fantastic guitars and sound wonderful. I'd keep it.

I really like Guild guitars and have played a number of them and have a few of them. The GAD series are good guitars, I have found that some are stellar and some are just okay. If you have a steller one, keep it, it will not be as easy to find a duplicate. On the other hand, I think you'll have very little trouble finding a K brand down the road when you can afford it.

Ocassionally I'll get back into playing guitar and it is nice to have an instrument around.

When I was young and poor and had bills I sold stuff just like you. I sold both of my Guild archtops, one was a really sweet 2 pickup out of the 50s, and the other was my first good guitar I got as a combined Birthday/Christmas present. About ten years later, my Mom hands me a guitar case that looks to be my first Guild. Turns out that my Mom didn't want to see me lose that guitar and was the buyer. My younger brother had told me he knew someone who would buy it. I am very thankful that my Mom was willing to buy the same guitar twice.

Instruments are a strange lot because if one grabs you and you let it go, it will be just like all those fish stories about the one that got away.

John

Top Bottom