String Testers Wanted for Southcoast

Status
Not open for further replies.

southcoastukes

Reaction score
OK Folks! I figured it wouldn't take long! Thanks for all the posts, PMs & e-mails. We've got enough testers!

Will let you know how everything goes, or testers can add on to this thread.

Thanks again!

Hello all,

Am looking for a FEW good tenor players. They should like to play in the high rentrant key of C. They should have an instrument that is not built like a tank. Finally, they should be interested in a set of strings they can play at normal tesion.

We're about to release a new pair of string sets. They're alternatives to our Medium and Light gauge high rentrant sets. Our two standard formulations have been very well received. They have a medium bright tone, and liven up pretty much any instrument you put them on.

We wanted to offer another alternative - string sets that give a "softer" sound. Maybe you have a very bright instrument that needs toning down, or maybe your taste just runs to a more subdued sound. The concept would be something like Worth Clears vs. Worth Browns, but of course we like to think our sets have the best balance.

With Tenor Ukuleles, playing in the key of C usually means playing a set like our Medium gauge, and playing at a fairly high tension. Since the beginning, Tenor construction has been pretty heavy, and so you actually need the high tension to get away with C tuning. Normal tension strings in the key of C for an instrument like a standard Tenor are actually pretty thin. Our Light gauge strings are an example. They give perfect tension on a 17" standard Tenor scale, but usually don't generate enough force to excite the heavy build.

Here's where our new "Soft Lights" come in. I am extremely pleased with the overall sound of this set. They have a softer sound than our standard Lights, but still being a Light gauge, they're not dead by any means. The surprising element is that the lower density material and slightly thicker diameters are producing a good bit more volume, while maintaining normal tension. With normal tesnion you'll get better vibrato and sustain.

Now finally to the reason for the test. We don't make a standard Tenor. I am curious as to how these will perform on one of those instruments. Would they still be a little weak, or could they finally be the performance answer for the tuning so many Tenor players want to play? As mentioned above, I would not be optimistic about their performance on a really heavily built instrument.

Still, if you fall into the group I outlined at the beginning, and want to become a "Tester" for Southcoast, I'll be happy to send out a few trial sets.

Any takers?

Last edited:
Dear Dirk,

I do have two tenor ukes, one made by myself from a StewMac kit and the other is a pro luthier TIMPLE (which is a 5 string spanish instrument).

For that tenor TIMPLE I have had always a problem with the strings and have not yet found anything that would be right.

Could I buy from you at least two sets to test them? Also I would have a problem since the tuning is D A E C G (first to fifth) and I would need an additional string for the first one.

here !!

i would love to be a string tester.
i play fingerpicking n strumming

I'm a string junky and tend to try to find the perfect set of strings for each uke...I'm now in that process right now with my new custom from spanish luthier Lui Feu de Mesquita.

I don't mind to get sets to try out.

I just sent an email about my Pono Cedartop Tenor. Hoping this helps bring out some character. Thanks guys for trusting us. By the way, I have southcoast strings on my Kanilea Tenor and they are better than amazing!!! I can't believe how they have brought out the sustain, the treble and givin it a guitarish/brilliant sound. Nice work boys.(or girls?)

I'm a string junky and tend to try to find the perfect set of strings for each uke...I'm now in that process right now with my new custom from spanish luthier Lui Feu de Mesquita.

I don't mind to get sets to try out.

Sounds like a good trial (lovely instrument).

haolejohn
would a koaloha sceptre (tenor of course work)?

My guess is it would work well!

Send me your addresses: southcoast@inbox.com

Mouthy1
I just sent an email about my Pono Cedartop Tenor. Hoping this helps bring out some character. Thanks guys for trusting us. By the way, I have southcoast strings on my Kanilea Tenor and they are better than amazing!!! I can't believe how they have brought out the sustain, the treble and givin it a guitarish/brilliant sound. Nice work boys.(or girls?)

Thanks for the kind words - your set goes out tomorrow!

Last edited:
Love to try some on my Mele koa tenor. Sounds like what I'm looking for. Sent address.

Dirk,

I have an 18" solid koa tenor that is very bright, to the point where I have used maple for the saddle to tone it down. I now use ebony for the saddle and fluorocarbon fishing strings (off brand) because Aquilas are too bright/harsh, CTs don't bring out enough, Worth BS sound nice tuned to Bb, but lose volume, and various others including Savarez didn't work out.

After a 4 year search what I am using is working pretty good, (a tad more ring would be nice) but I have your mediums on a concert and really like them. If you want me to try them, great, if not that is fine also. I play mostly fingerstyle instrumental. I'll send you an email unless you already have enough testers.

John

Dirk,

I have an 18" solid koa tenor that is very bright, to the point where I have used maple for the saddle to tone it down. I now use ebony for the saddle and fluorocarbon fishing strings (off brand) because Aquilas are too bright/harsh, CTs don't bring out enough, Worth BS sound nice tuned to Bb, but lose volume, and various others including Savarez didn't work out.

After a 4 year search what I am using is working pretty good, (a tad more ring would be nice) but I have your mediums on a concert and really like them. If you want me to try them, great, if not that is fine also. I play mostly fingerstyle instrumental. I'll send you an email unless you already have enough testers.

John

Hello SanO!

These just might do it - I'll be anxious to hear how it goes. Send me the address: southcoast@inbox.com

OK Folks! I figured it wouldn't take long! Thanks for all the posts, PMs & e-mails. We've got enough testers!

Will let you know how everything goes, or testers can add on to this thread.

Thanks again!

Really nice of SCU to look for testers from this site. I saw your thread early and even thought of fibbing and saying I play high G but then I would break the honor code amongst this great uke communitiy. I'm a golf player and police myself and I hold ukeleles in the highest regard.

I'll volunteer and test your strings when you add the low G!!!

Dirk, I've used your strings on and off for a year or so. I really like them. In fact, I just put a set of mediums on my bluegrassukes tenor and tuned down to Bb re-entrent.
This uke has never sounded better. It's built pretty heavy and has a body more the size of a bari than a tenor. It's really been singing at this tuning.

I've been thinking that I wanted to do a quick recording to show everybody on UU how great tuning down can sound (I was skeptical at first myself). If I can get my act together, I might post tonight.
Also, I've got another, more lightly built tenor, an MP Custom, which has worth browns on it, and I not too thrilled with these. Expect an order for some lights (and mediums and heavies) soon!

John/SanO, I think that you are going to find that SC strings are a good balance between the bright, punchy aquilas and the super-mellow worth browns. This has been my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom