8 string Case?

benybrady

Reaction score
Howdy all,
Got an 8 string Lanikai O-8 on a whim to see if I'd like it.....and I love it for strumming. I'm now looking to house my new baby. I have a tenor gig bag that doesn't fit. Does anyone know of any gig bag/case that will house a longer 8 string uke. I suppose a baritone one will work although it would probably be sloshing around in the case. Not looking for an overly expensive bag since my main protection is from my 4 & 5 yr old monsters.
Thx

Howdy all,
Got an 8 string Lanikai O-8 on a whim to see if I'd like it.....and I love it for strumming. I'm now looking to house my new baby. I have a tenor gig bag that doesn't fit. Does anyone know of any gig bag/case that will house a longer 8 string uke. I suppose a baritone one will work although it would probably be sloshing around in the case. Not looking for an overly expensive bag since my main protection is from my 4 & 5 yr old monsters.
Thx

Ask Mim - I think the ones I've seen that she's sold were in the foam Uke Crazy cases, but not sure...

Hmm... A Tenor gig bag should work, I'm not certain as to why yours isn't fitting. Perhaps the extra headstock length? Either way, I'd recommend going to a local music store and "trying on" cases until you find something that fits.

I had the same trouble with my Lanikai,its the
extra length of the headstock that does it.
I ended up getting a UkeCrazy type case that
was almost 30 inches long inside,as the uke
itself is 28 inches! Known as a 'pod' type case.
Perfectly snug fit on the body and a bit extra
on the neck/head length,so no problem!

Ask Mim - I think the ones I've seen that she's sold were in the foam Uke Crazy cases, but not sure...

I KNOW I KNOW! Haha!

Ok, the fancy cases (like Kala Alligator and Checkered and Tweed) dont fit. Well, they barely fit, but are too snug and you risk the hydrometer scratching the headstock.

BUT... the Tenor Polyfoam case fits it beautifully!!! Perfectly in fact! And if your kids use it as a spring board for couch pillow gymnastics... your uke will still be safe (I know this from experience)!

Like this one:
31YDc4bGVgL._SL500_SL160_.jpg

You could do a Baritone bag, but be aware you are gonna end up with a lot of wiggle!

Tah-dah! That is the extent of my knowledge! I love the O-8 series, you will love your O-8... it is like a chorus of ukulele angels singing every time you play!

Last edited:
I KNOW I KNOW! Haha!

Ok, the fancy cases (like Kala Alligator and Checkered and Tweed) dont fit. Well, they barely fit, but are too snug and you risk the hydrometer scratching the headstock.

BUT... the Tenor Polyfoam case fits it beautifully!!! Perfectly in fact! And if your kids use it as a spring board for couch pillow gymnastics... your uke will still be safe (I know this from experience)!

You could do a Baritone bag, but be aware you are gonna end up with a lot of wiggle!

Tah-dah! That is the extent of my knowledge! I love the O-8 series, you will love your O-8... it is like a chorus of ukulele angels singing every time you play!

Popular question!

Popular question!

Yes, and I have sold a whole-lotta O-8s :) They are really done well. You will find within some brands I can be picky and choosy as to what I stock, but I always try to have a stock of O-8s because they are just fabulous!

Howdy all,
Thx

Were you successful? I bought a Ohana 8-string and hate cramming it into a too-tight Tenor case but it swims in a baritone case. The instrument is almost 29" long due to the headstock. If you found one of these roomier polyfoam cases that were mentioned, where did you find it? What is the brand/model, etc.? Thanks for any help.

My Kala eighter fits in the gig bag I had for my Ohana sixer. I measured it before I bought it. It's a tenor GB I think. :eek:ld:

My Luna 8-string fits perfectly into the fantastic TGI ABS hard case. Well worth getting one of those!

MrLarkham. Where did you get that TGI? Never mind, just found them and they are too short.

Last edited:
I think any eight string with standard sized tuners will present the same problem. Allen McFarlan at Barron River used Gotoh stealth tuners on my 8er to keep the headstock from being too long and therefore not fitting into a standard hard case. I think Min's suggestion of a hard foam uke crazy case is probably the best solution.

Top Bottom