The Great Ukulele Instrumental CHALLENGE, Part the Second!

austin1

Reaction score
Hello All!

As many of you will remember, not too long ago a few of us on here organized a Great Ukulele Instrumental Song Challenge, where we welcomed all UU members to arrange their own instrumental version of "Yesterday," by the Beatles, with us.

If you want a refresher course, you can find the original post here:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...Instrumental-CHALLENGE!!!&p=620816#post620816

and the results thread here:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...Thread!!&highlight=great+ukulele+instrumental

We had a lot of fun, and thought the end results came out wonderfully. So wonderfully, we wanted to do it again. And thus, I give you...

The Great Ukulele Instrumental Song CHALLENGE, Part the Second!!

It will work like so:

Today-June 23rd, 6PM EST

Song suggestion time! Feel free to submit any song you choose, regardless whether or not you plan on participating. Songs can be suggested by replying to this post. When suggesting songs, try to stick to ones you a) want to hear, and b) think would make good instrumentals across a wide range of skill levels and experience.

June 24th-June 26th, 6PM EST

I'll open up a poll, and I welcome all of you to vote for your favorite song choice.

June 27th-July 27th

On June 27th, the song choice will be announced, and then we will all have exactly one month to figure out our respective versions. The poll thread can continue to be used as a discussion forum for all participants. If you're having problems, or want to dish out some encouragement to other players, you'll be able to talk it over in the poll thread.

July 27th

On this, the final day of the challenge, I'll open up a results thread, where all the participants can post their Youtube videos. Then we can all discuss, marvel at, and enjoy each other's work!

Just as a refresher, here are the goals and rules from last time:

GOALS:

--Learn from others and how they approach figuring out songs
--Hear and see everyone´s individual takes on the same song
--Learn to figure out songs by ear and through repetition
--Share tips, tricks, and techniques for arranging instrumentals
--Expand our musical horizons, improve, and have fun doing it

RULES:

--No singing allowed!
--All experience levels most welcome!
--Multitracks allowed
--Multiple people allowed in one video

Remember, this challenge is completely open-ended, and once the song is chosen, you have free rein to make it as simple or complicated as you like, in any key. The only thing you cannot do is sing!

Hit us up with comments or questions, and Colin and I will answer them for you. Also, Nick (misterpk) has said he's participating this time, so if he doesn't, I give all of UU permission to do him bodily harm.

Thus I declare the Great Ukulele Instrumental Song Challenge, Part the Second, to be in session!

Reply to this post with your song suggestions! Last time we did the Beatles, so let's see if we can come up with something different, but equally wonderful, this time!

Last edited:
We should do one for the kids.. Puff the Magic Dragon. hehe

(Secretly I've already been working on this but need extra motivation to get it finished. )

I'm going to nominate Starry Starry Night by Don McLean which I always find so pretty, it makes my heart hurt. Plus there's a lot of colorful background guitar stuff people could play with if they so felt like it

This one has challenges for ANY skill level... verses for beginners, intro/outro for intermediate players, insane organ and guitar solos for shredders...

Last edited:
I'm a softie. I've got the Ka'au Crater boys on the brain. This song is pretty and doesn't sound too hard.

nice !!!
everybody is allowed to participate??
i like learning songs by ear n arrangments n all that stuff !!!

wow, i'm super interested

How about "Mary Had a Little Lamb" by Stevie Ray Vaughn?

because we've had relatively few suggestions this far, I'm going to open this up as "submit as many songs as you want." in which case, I am (re)nominating John Denver's take me home country roads.

because we've had relatively few suggestions this far, I'm going to open this up as "submit as many songs as you want." in which case, I am (re)nominating John Denver's take me home country roads.

I sang this song for the talent show in second grade..... but how about 'Don't Rock My Boat' by Bob Marley?

I think Vincent is an excellent choice. I have not really been able to come up with a better idea, because that song keeps popping up as an ideal choice. The other ideas I had are already instrumentals, like Take Five or Cissy Strut and I know the point is to take a vocal and intrumentalize it.

Top Bottom