How often do you change your strings?

pepamahina

Reaction score
I realize that there may be some difference depending on how much/often you play an instrument. So just guesstimating, on a particular instrument that you play fairly regularly, how often do you change your strings. My kala acacia concert is suddenly sounding a little twangy. Thanks guys!

My first indication to change strings is when the sound changes.. I've been playing 10 months now (wow) and my first uke is on it's 3rd set of strings and my luna which I have had 8 months is on the second, but I have and eleuke that I have had since February and I am about to change strings on it now too. Every few months I guess is the answer.
If It doesn't sound good to you, I would change them. Good luck I hope that is all it is...

2-3 times a day sounds about right.

It depends a lot on the type of string. I can burn through NylGut strings in about three weeks on a uke I play a lot - I use fingernails a lot and basically shred the coating on them. Fluorocarbon strings hold up much better. I can get two or three months even with daily use. Basically, with fluorocarbon strings it seems like the intonation going a bit wonky is the first indication they're at the end of their life so I don't change them until intonation up the neck has drifted.

The strings on both ukes I took to UWC were at least two months old, maybe three. I was going to change them before I left but they were still sounding good so I didn't bother cause I didn't want to deal with them stretching in.

John

A couple of guidelines I use:
When my tuner seems to waver I check the battery and the strings.
If I am constantly going out of tune.
I also like to check the underside of the strings, if I feel indentations from the frets, it's time.
I just feel the sound is lacking or it has been more than 6 months and I can't remember.

Flouro's go two or three months, Nylguts about a month and a half. With the flouro's they just become less bouncy and get weird up the neck, with the Nylguts it seems to happen pretty quickly...usually the C string goes south first for me.

I really try to wash my hands before I play and try to keep the strings clean. It does seem to help the longevity. And Aquila strings are over $10 a set here in South Korea.

Wow, this is a great thread. I'm a bit past beginner stage but It's clear I need new strings on all my ukes. Yep, UAS hit hard and early. I just keep playing and playing.

Figure around three months. Also depends on how much you play. Of course they can stay on as long as you like the sound they produce!

This is something I had been wondering as well. Thanks for starting this thread. It's great to have such a deep pool of knowledge to drink from.

This is similar to the same question about Classical guitars. I find it's time to change the strings when they start staying in tune.....lol

You mean you actually have to change strings on these things? Shucks!

I change the string when I notice the go flat and dull.. most ukes won't notice the small changes right away...oh keep you strings clean and wipe
them down too ..dirty strings can cause them to sound bad too....Hope it helps..Your friend, Stan

How long is a piece of.....?
Depends on many many things.How
Often you play,how long you play for,
how long the strings have been fitted
to begin with,temperature of room(s)
you play in,ambient temperature of
your location....get my drift?

Usually when I start to notice indentations from the frets on them. It used to be a lot more frequently when I would de-tune my ukulele for flights. But now that I no longer do that, I find strings will last much longer.

Top Bottom