Does this Ukulele look okay?

In all honesty it looks like a piece of junk :/ I think that's the type of instrument that's gonna discourage you to play because of the sound quality.. for like 15$ more you could buy a Makala Dolphin. It's a real good starter uke. Slap some Aquila strings on it and you should be set for learning! :D

Seems cheap enough but I guarantee you that it is far better to hear it before you buy. I'd rather see you pay 50 pounds for a more student quality one at a local shop than get something like this online.

I've you want something really cheap and made of plastic I'll go for a Makala Dolphin, they seem to be well made.

Aloha Miss Cadbury,
Welcome to the UU and our forums.. have fun and enjoy...it looks like a nice sweet first uke...did you check out out marketplace yet...here's a few..
Rogue soprano.. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-traditional-instruments/rogue-hawaiian-soprano-ukulele
Lanikai Lu21... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search/search.jsp?question=Lanikai+LU21+ukulele
Makala Dolphin... http://www.amazon.com/Makala-Dolphin-Bridge-Soprano-Ukulele/dp/B0037CMZ6A http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNX7NRLxenw
Whatever you choose, it will be fun...Good Luck...Happy Strummings..MM Stan

Kala makes a lot of nice entry level ukes that sound great and will last you. Never heard of this one and hearing it is really what counts.

Thanks everyone! I'm going to go with a Makala Dolphin one I think.
Although I did see this :
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marlin-ML-Yel...r_Access_RL&hash=item19c5a4decd#ht_1302wt_786

Does this look any better?

I think a Makala Dolphin would be much better than that uke. I've never heard of a that brand before, but Makala Dolphins have a pretty good reputation in the uke world. Ultimately the brand doesn't really matter as long as the instrument sounds good, but I think a Makala Dolphin is one of the best ukes for the price (only around 10 bucks more than that Marlin uke!) But whatever instrument you choose, i'm sure you'll have a great time strumming away!

I think a Makala Dolphin would be much better than that uke. I've never heard of a that brand before, but Makala Dolphins have a pretty good reputation in the uke world. Ultimately the brand doesn't really matter as long as the instrument sounds good, but I think a Makala Dolphin is one of the best ukes for the price (only around 10 bucks more than that Marlin uke!) But whatever instrument you choose, i'm sure you'll have a great time strumming away!

Okay I think I'll go for the Makala Dolphin then, thanks!!
Once I'm the proud owner of my new uke I'll be back here to learn how to play it :)!

Okay I think I'll go for the Makala Dolphin then, thanks!!
Once I'm the proud owner of my new uke I'll be back here to learn how to play it :)!

Be sure to post photos of your new ukulele when you get it. We love to look at other people's new ukuleles. Good luck with your uke shopping!

Both of those you have posted are junk. I hate to put it that bluntly, but they really are. They are the same ukes... just rebranded. I have seen a million of them with just different brands on the headstock. Bad tuners, bad strings, bad intonation, bad sound! But I think everyone else has done a great job at pointing you in the right path. I would recommend that whatever uke you get make sure it comes with Aquilas on it rather than GHS (Aquilas are a creamy white and GHS is black). Will make a world of difference!

GOOD LUCK and cant wait to find out what you end up with!

I would look on Amazon for a Kala pineapple. I have one and the action is really nice (after I shaved down the saddle which slides right out) and it sounds great. It is very playable and I consider it a keeper. It's a good step up from the Dolphin, great fretboard and tuners, but not a lot more in price.

I've never owned a Dolphin but they are very popular around here for people who want the cheapest possible uke that will still play. If you get a Dolphin and decide to fix any aspect of it you will find dozens of people here who have fiddled with them and got them sounding better. Be prepared though, you will want a more expensive uke someday, because they do sound better as the price increases. Probably 10% of the discussions here are about "How much better is the next (more expensive) uke gonna sound?"

I would like to recommend the kala-15s. I started on it and still play it every day, even though I own a much nicer concert

One of my friends picked up one of these Korala ukes and they are absolute junk!! Go for the Dolphin as suggested or go for any of the other entry level ukes of well known brands, i.e Kala (Makala), Lanikai or even Stagg. I got this http://www.expressmusicstore.co.uk/products.asp?code=71369 as my first uke and I love it still. I put some Aquila strings on it and it has great sound. You should be able to get it a little cheaper than what is advertised too.

Whatver you do don't go near that Korala, it will just put you off playing the Uke and its a wonderful little instrument. Whatever you get post when you receive it!! Theres tonnes of advice available from the experienced players on the forum and its a great resource. Get stuck in and enjoy!

Cheers -F

I would like to recommend the kala-15s. I started on it and still play it every day, even though I own a much nicer concert

I also have a Kala 15s. It sounds pretty decent and got it for around $40 + shipping. I changed the tuners though because they were crap and it didn't stay in tune very well. I haven't played a Dolphin, but I'm sure it will be a fine starter uke with all the praise it gets.

I'm going to buy a dolphin in yellow. I looked around on the internet and it seems that the cheapest/easiest dolphin I could buy that would arrive quickly was a yellow one, so yellow it is! I hope I don't start attracting lots of bugs D:

I'll post a picture when I get it!

I'm going to buy a dolphin in yellow. I looked around on the internet and it seems that the cheapest/easiest dolphin I could buy that would arrive quickly was a yellow one, so yellow it is! I hope I don't start attracting lots of bugs D:

I'll post a picture when I get it!

I don't think i could own a yellow one without just having to paint a smiley face on it :)

Aloha misscadbury6! Getting that Makala Dolphine is a very smart move!! And as Mim stated make sure you have aquila strings on it, they are a creamish colored string. If the strings are black (probably GHS strings) those are garbage. A Makala uke with aquila strings will really sing!!! I have a plain Makala Concert with aquila strings and it is very good, especially for the price.

Top Bottom