PDA

View Full Version : Vocal Exhaustion?/bass?

Josiahjjr
10-10-2011, 02:52 PM
First off, I'm 15, so I expect a little vocal inconsistency. But I don't know if it's supposed to be to this degree.

Not to give an American Idol audition story, but i've been singing pretty much whole life. My dad is a music minister at our church and a beautiful tenor with amazing range,( the bass E2 to the tenor high C ) and my mom is a sultry alto. I'm a relatively musical guy, I enjoy singing.
I went through puberty and my voice dropped noticeably, and I'm a bass guy.

My voice changes some based on the day. On a lazy day like a Sunday, I belt G's and F's all day, but after a day at school per say, I have trouble projecting an A. Plus it's just not comfortable. You know when you song a note and it just feels good? That just doesn't happen after a long day. I understand the whole body not fully developed thing, but should there be that much variation based on what I do?

Does anyone else have these problems? Maybe a solution.

Sorry for the wall o' text. Any feedback is appreciated :)

UkePA
10-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Have the same problem. I used to sing bass in a barbershop quartet. Morning is always better for me. I can belt out Old Man River like Paul Robeson in the morning, but by 10 am, forget it.

I have decided to be a baritone and be happy with that.

I had a vocal teacher tell me once that if I worked hard, I might be able to add 1 step to my lower range. Not worth it to me.

Hope this helps.

Erik

Little Plink
10-22-2011, 10:00 AM
Have the same problem. I used to sing bass in a barbershop quartet. Morning is always better for me. I can belt out Old Man River like Paul Robeson in the morning, but by 10 am, forget it.

I have decided to be a baritone and be happy with that.

I had a vocal teacher tell me once that if I worked hard, I might be able to add 1 step to my lower range. Not worth it to me.

Hope this helps.

Erik

I have kind of the same problem in that my voice is a lot lower in the morning, but I strive for high bari/tenor range if I can. So really, after 10am is my best time. I'm only 15 as well, but I've taught myself to kind of deal with the inconsistency. I had to train myself, because I reached puberty fairly early in the 6th/7th grade, and I loved singing, so I gradually reached back for my old range, which I've almost achieved, so now I'm at a whopping 3 1/2 octaves. I've never had a vocal coach, so I think it's just a simple matter of patience. If you sing, or even talk, enough, that inconsistency will gradually be shaved off, leaving you with a pretty much set-in-stone range.

JamieFromOntario
10-22-2011, 10:48 AM
Hey guys.

In terms of reaching the low notes, morning is certainly better - though it's not so much the time of day but how much you use your voice that affects your range the most: talk/sing more = less lower range.
Certainly, training and better breath control can help you reach those lower notes more easily later in the day.

I find i'm good for a low E maybe Eb in the morning. By the end of a rehearsal, concert or practice session, I'm comfortable to a low G and can reach a fairly solid low F.

As you said Josiah, your age will be a big factor in this as well. I've found my range has solidified and reached higher as I've gotten older. I think for many - particularly once you reach middle adult hood 35 or more - you'll get a bit more lower range as well.

Josiahjjr
12-25-2011, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have noticed that morning is always better for my lower range. It's like Jamie said, less talking means a more relaxed voice.
I'm hoping you're right, I'd like a bit more low end. Bass is just so much fun to sing :)