Seagull S6 for a Beginner Guitar Player and Ukulele Player?

SCDavidKim

Reaction score
I have been wanting to play a guitar long before i started playing the ukulele. Finally i have the chance to pick one up but which one? I have been researching a lot and found out about the SEagull S6. Is it a good beginner guitar? It also has a wider neck which i may be uncomfortable with because im only a teen and ive been playing ukulele.

Would the Washburn D10 be a better option? Or maybe a Yamaha?

Which would YOU buy?

I have a Seagull. Great bang for the buck guitar! Hard to go wrong with one.

-Gary

I don't have direct experience with Seagull, but have heard nothing but good things about them, so I'd say getting one would be a good idea.

The thing about nut width, though is something to consider. In my personal experience in becoming acquainted with six strings, that played a major issue. The fist guitar I tried was classical, and that 2" nut was just way too wide. My Kanile'a has a 1.5" nut, so I thought I could adapt, but I couldn't. The guitar I'm playing now has a 1 11/16" nut, and it is much more comfy for me, meaning the guitar is now accessible.

I don't know the size of the Seagull nut, but if it's 1 11/16" nut you should be fine.

More than nut width comes into play here. Things like neck shape and size. I play 1 11/16th necks but have played the wider Seagulls. They are comfortable (at least to me). You really need to try one for yourself though. Seagulls are great guitars for the money.

Seagulls have 1.8" nut widths. Some like it and some don't.

1-11/16" is the most common nut width today. It supposedly evolved out of the need to play some jazz chords (which included an index finger barre).

My suggestion to you is to try out different guitars. Better yet, see if a friend or relative who trusts you can loan you a guitar for a a few months.

More than nut width comes into play here. Things like neck shape and size.

You're absolutely right, of course - I hadn't even stopped to think about it. The guitar I have now is 12 fret parlor, which is a completely different beast than a 14 fret dreadnaught.

I guess I just zeroed in on that nut thing :)

hmmm thanks... I think I may go for the Seagull. But unfortunately, i cant seem to find a place to play one before buying near sydney

My first guitar was the Yamaha FG730s. The feel and sound is amazing and it's getting brighter each day. The neck is a little too narrow for fingerstyling but I still do it :) This may be good if you're switching over.

I've never tried the Seagull S6 but if I could, I would actually buy it instead of the Yamaha. Warmer tone and wider neck. But it might be an uncomfortable switch from the ukulele.

Edit: Oh wait, I didn't see the date. You probably already got a guitar. Opps. Too late.

Last edited:
Top Bottom