Uke Minutes 26 - Strum-Picking!

Hey people! The new Uke Minutes (Strum Picking) is now live! Check it out and let us know if you're having any problems, or if you have any questions about the technique, or if you'd like to add anything that might help others, or if you think the editing was absolutely terrible, or ... well, basically anything you'd like to say!

Post below and start the discussion!

whoo! imma start practicing

*edit*

my hand isnt as big as Aldrine's :( how do i fix this situation?

lol

Last edited:
i wonder if people get extensions on there fingers... from like average to big

im guessing people do it when they have really small fingers... but just because they want bigger fingers...

ANYWAYS!!
i like it heaps, it sounds great

but a bit disappointed... i was hoping that the way aldrine played bandito tyler would be a bit more simpler... but great things dont come simple.

i guess ill start practising.. about 6 weeks from now

I don't think it should be too much of a problem with small hands. I've got pretty small hands (smaller than Aldrine's anyway) and I can at least get them in position to mute all the strings I need to mute ... moving them around to play different notes quickly is a matter all it's own, though.

A couple tips for people starting out:

- Really reach your thumb around to get it over the fretboard. Normally when you play, the neck of your ukulele rests in the palm of your left hand. When you reach around to mute with your thumb, the neck should be resting on the lower half of your pointer finger, while it holds the note. By moving your palm out of the way, you'll have a lot more reach.

- Position your thumb a little higher than the note you want to play. If you watch the video, Aldrine puts his finger on the bottom string (3rd fret), reaches around with his thumb and places it two frets above (5th fret) to mute the strings. For some people, placing their thumbs a few frets higher than the note will actually help them. Try your thumb in different placements, to see what's easiest for you.

Try it out and see!

I don't think it should be too much of a problem with small hands. I've got pretty small hands (smaller than Aldrine's anyway) and I can at least get them in position to mute all the strings I need to mute ... moving them around to play different notes quickly is a matter all it's own, though.

A couple tips for people starting out:

- Really reach your thumb around to get it over the fretboard. Normally when you play, the neck of your ukulele rests in the palm of your left hand. When you reach around to mute with your thumb, the neck should be resting on the lower half of your pointer finger, while it holds the note. By moving your palm out of the way, you'll have a lot more reach.

- Position your thumb a little higher than the note you want to play. If you watch the video, Aldrine puts his finger on the bottom string (3rd fret), reaches around with his thumb and places it two frets above (5th fret) to mute the strings. For some people, placing their thumbs a few frets higher than the note will actually help them. Try your thumb in different placements, to see what's easiest for you.

Try it out and see!

i was kidding, though this does help a lot. thanks aaron.

i miss you brah!

i was kidding, though this does help a lot. thanks aaron.
i miss you brah!

Haha, we miss you too, Fred!! Things just aren't the same without you around.

ur names aaron??

i honestly always thought it was like ryan on another account hahaha

thatnks for the post but :)

:D Yup, I'm UU Crew member #3, the (very) behind-the-scenes video guy. Pretty much all of the posts that you see on the main UU page that utilize the bold function, are all me. I don't know why I do it. I just like bold-ing random words and phrases. I think Ryan is anti-bolding.

I think Ryan is anti-bolding.

Oop, scratch that. Ryan posted the "September Contest Winners" entry on Oct. 13, which had numerous bold phrases.

Ok, this thread is officially off topic -->

Questions about "STRUM PICKING," anyone??

Oop, scratch that. Ryan posted the "September Contest Winners" entry on Oct. 13, which had numerous bold phrases.

Ok, this thread is officially off topic -->

Questions about "STRUM PICKING," anyone??

Yes... is it possible to use that on I'm Yours?!
:cool:

Wow this is awesome, and what I've been looking for. I wanted to find a way to play this solo in a nickel creek song with as much feeling as Chris Thile does, and this seems to be the perfect solution.

Video for the song is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcjAXI4jANw
Solo starts at 1:53, and the part I was trying to learn starts at 2:03.

As a side note, I was messing around with technique, and I found an alternate method to achieve this. I use my pointer finger to bar the mute across all strings, and my middle, ring, and pinky fingers to play the single-line melody. It is very tough to stop pushing down with your pointer finger when you do so with your others, but with practice this seems to be effective.

Thanks for the video aldrine!

Resurrection!
So, when it comes to playing breezin, it is relatively up high on the neck where it gets fat. I average sized hands, but I cant seem to thumb mute the g and c strings while playing the e and a strings. Im not sure if it is a thing about practice because I have spent hours trying to configure my hands to play this. Lower on the neck is fine. I think I need a new technique for the higher notes. Any suggestion?

Mahalos

Hi, Who can tell me what's the name of Aldrine's example song? Sound like "Banito Tatter"? I don't get it. Thank you guys!

Top Bottom